We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scamming in restaurants?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dabrowa Gornicza
Level Contributor
207 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Scamming in restaurants?

I'm visiting Budapest soon and what stroke me as odd reading the tips from other travellers is how much space is given to precautions about the restaurants trying to scam you. Is it really that bad? Do they really try to slap me an additional 100% service charge or leave things I didn't ask for on my table just to later charge me for them even if I didn't eat or drink them? What should I keep attention on to not get scammed like that if that's true?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scamming in restaurants?

Where did you get this information? I have never heard of or experienced such things.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,627 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scamming in restaurants?

There is a stream of irate comments in this forum and on many other websites, all arising from people foolish enough to patronize several restaurants on Vaci utca that cater almost exclusively to tourists and that quite a number have experienced over the years as engaging in dubious billing practices.

There is another line of comments about tipping and whether the practice of requiring or expecting a tip in addition to the cost of the meal should be just above or just below cannibalism in the list of dining practices having dubious or worse moral worth.

If you tip as you feel comfortable doing, and ask before starting the meal what the restaurant's policy is on service charges, and if you avoid eating in general on Vaci utca (where, over all, the food is no good anyway), then you should be just fine without a second thought at almost any of the remaining several thousand Budapest restaurants.

Dabrowa Gornicza
Level Contributor
207 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scamming in restaurants?

Thank you very much for the information :) And what about the "everything that's on your table you're gonna pay for" policy? Is it true? It's a common practice in some restaurants to leave a bottle or two of some wine on your table which of course you can ask to be opened but it's the first time I hear someone might want to add such things to my bill if I don't explicitly state I _do_ want them to be opened. Does this happen or is it mainly regarding the Vaci utca tourist traps as well?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scamming in restaurants?

Tigro this is a joke you are telling. When you get a menu at most restaurants it wills say the amount of the service charge or you can ask the waiter. It is generally 10 or 12 %. It is also clearly on the bill that you get from the server. I have been here now for about 6 weeks and never experienced what you have described. In addition I was here the 2 previous summers and also did not experience this. It is just plain foolish. The service charge takes the place of the tip, you may choose to pay it, add to it, or have it deleted from the bill. I always pay it and if service is exceptional I add to it. If restaurants did these scams they would be reported specifically on TA and the restaurant would lose business. If you are really worried about getting scams then I suggest you visit some other city.

John, we actually like a restaurant on Vaci Utca, called La Cucina and I actually like their pizza. I don't find them to be pricey. Lorraine also likes their roasted veggie plate.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 21:25
luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scamming in restaurants?

I like cyrano on vaci utca but i feel overall John has hit the nail on the head

one particular place "pertu" looked very inviting and the waiter tried to entice us with a special offer

luckily I checked the tripadvisor app on my phone and soon saw the dismal reviews

if you have a rough idea what you want to eat check it out using your hotels wifi/PC/concierge

that way no bad surprises

cheers tony

6. Re: Scamming in restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 05:17