We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest with 3yr old

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Naxxar, Malta
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest with 3yr old

Is it possible to view all around Budapest on foot or do we need to travel on buses to go from Buda to Pest side? we will be staying at the regency suites hotel Zone V. Is there any forum where I can see some planned itineraries for a whole week please .. I need help with my planning, especially since we have a small boy with us. thanks a lot for any help you can provide us.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest with 3yr old

You should definitely get a family travel pass for the week. You will find the trams and buses especially easy to use. You should read back a few pages on this forum for posts about itineraries. You will find things you like that you can then ask us about. Here is a link that will be of special interest to you.

tripadvisor.com/Guide-g274887-l89-Budapest_C…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest with 3yr old

Hello clairezm

The above post is bad information on many levels firstly monetarily and secondly and perhaps most important is the fact that there is no such thing as family travel pass for the week. You can see your travel pass options here and as I mentioned in your other post no ticket needed for your 3 year old. http://www.bkk.hu/en/prices/

You do not mention exactly how long you will be staying but just as an example lets say 3 days (72 hours) and 7 days as your potential staying time

72 HOURS - 3 DAYS

3 Budapest 24-hour group travelcard 1 for each day @ 3300 HUF each = 9900 HUF

2 Budapest 72-hour travelcards 1/1 for each adult @ 4150 HUF each = 8300 HUF

7 DAYS

7 Budapest 24-hour group travelcard 1 for each day @ 3300 HUF each = 23100 HUF

2 Budapest 7 Day travelcards 1/1 for each adult @ 4950 HUF each = 9900 HUF

As you can see if you are staying longer and do the Budapest 7-day travelcard it is even a better value so as you see the advice to get a family travel pass for the week (even if you could since they do not exist) makes very little sense, actually make that NO sense and shows a complete lack of knowledge of the transit system and its available ticketing options.

As to things to do for a week take a look at the Things To Do tab located at the top of the page and when you find anything that interests you just come back and ask away.

Enjoy your holiday

SEBESZ

3. Re: Budapest with 3yr old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 05:05
Cagliari, Italy
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest with 3yr old

Hi Clairezm

could be helpful this application for you about Budapest (?):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details…

Have a nice holiday in Budapest.

/Hello @ SEBESZ:), and @ greyhoung happy back-home shortly:)/

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
946 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest with 3yr old

Claire,

A lot of the suggested itineraries include a museum or two and I am guessing with a 3 year old those are off the table.

Thankfully there is plenty in Budapest to keep a young child entertained.

City park and heroes square - plenty place to run around, beautiful lakes, a castle, chapels.

Zoo - just next to City park, it is one of the best zoo`s I have been to, its massive and they have just extended it and added a new `family leisure park to it called Holnemvolt park - `Once upon a time park` he could ride a pony, pet animals, ride on some rides.

http://www.zoobudapest.com/en/holnemvolt-park

Definitely take the funicular to Castle hill - great views and great fun

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g274887-…

I would definitely recommend you get a travel pass, Sebesz provided you with the information on all the available ones. Budapest is a large city and you would spend a helluva long time walking if you got around on foot.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest with 3yr old

There also is some sort of animal park on Margaret Island. They have guided pony rides, real ponies.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest with 3yr old

For those of you who didn't have time to read the link in post #1, you will find it includes the kiddie zoo on Margitszigit, the park, the zoo, as well as the children's railway, Szechenyi Baths and other attractions.

tripadvisor.com/Guide-g274887-l89-Budapest_C…

8. Re: Budapest with 3yr old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 05:05
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Budapest with 3yr old

Well, yes, you do have to click the link and actually read it to find those items on the special "things to do with kids" link, which is what this thread is about. One of the things found in it is the kiddie zoo. But thank you for repeating it.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 01:11
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,673 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budapest with 3yr old

Well, size is subjective, but in my view Budapest is a very manageable city -- the heart of the city within which almost all of the primary sights other than Castle Hill can be found, is an arc about 2 miles north-south and 1.5 miles east-west. If you are a walker, it's a comfortable walk, and with a stroller even with a child it can be a pleasure. The weather of course plays into it all, but perhaps less so than the ubiquitous presence of sidewalk cafes, the pervasiveness of cold beer and wonderful lemonades in summer, coffees and hot wine in winter. A typical stroll from Point A to Point B will very plausibly take you for stops at Cafes C, D, and Q.

The result is that travel passes tend not to be good value when I visit, though their convenience makes them tempting even if they cost me a bit extra -- when I am in town for a week or longer I sometimes buy one, especially in winter. Otherwise I buy a pad of 10 individual tickets and find that I still have several left at the end of a week.

As to things to do with a 3 year old, it might be helpful if the codgers who frequent this forum, myself included, stepped back from our internecine bickering - or at least saved it for more codger-friendly topics - and allowed people who have more recent experience with 3 year olds chime in a bit.