We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scam

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
EDINBURGH
Level Contributor
1 post
83 reviews
Save Topic
Scam

We were walking along the side of the Danube near the Parliament. A young "Italian" man approached us asking if we knew where he could change money. As we tried to help home, an older man approached saying he was the Police looking for potential drug problems and money laundering. He looked official and showed us a "police" authority. He asked the young man to show what he had in money and then us. Unfortunately I showed him my UK notes, he took them and then appeared to put them back. It was only some time later I found he had kept the notes.

I then read of this as a scam and how to deal with it. So beware anyone who says he is Police, not in uniform. Ask to be taken to a police station but never show any money.

We wrote this off and still enjoyed our three days in Budapest.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scam

Interesting how it seems these scams always happen to tourists from the UK. Just making an observation. Also a second observation those reporting scams always seem to do so as their first forum post.

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scam

its numbers Art

there are around 7 daily flights from my hometown of Luton to Budapest thats at least a thousand people a day

and we are only 1 hub in the UK

also when people get mugged they tend to go online to try and find a reason or precedent

hence kings unfortunate experience

he/she does have 33 reviews though

back to the OP

KINGSKNOWE I feel for you ,I had some one try to offer me a moneychanging service which I refused a few weeks ago

only because i knew it would end in tears

luckily apart from this low life street scam and the 2 girl scam Budapest is a relatively safe city

cheers tony

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,177 posts
5,424 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scam

Also... It should be noted that beyond the US, the UK has by far the most active TA membership here on TA.

Further, this is the English forum only, one of many languages which TA supports for its destinations. It is possible that others may be posting to the French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Chinese and other language forums for Budapest and not here.

So, very difficult to gauge (just from this particular English forum) how many non-English speakers and non-UK based members are encountering these problems during their travels to Budapest.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Destination Expert
for Thessaloniki
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Scam

At least the OP enjoyed the city.. :)

Grigoris

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,544 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scam

On the UK/US divide, it's an artifact of what is described above, which in turn reflect the departure of American Airlines and Delta from Budapest, and Budapest ceasing to be a transcontinental hub some years back. The net effect has been to change, in some ways quite radically, the participation and content of this forum.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Scam

I am not certain what John is talking about. I fly Delta/KLM to Budapest. It is the Ryan/Wizz flights that result in the uptick of UK comments. As far as a hub is concerned, BA bought 50% of the airport for a reason.

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scam

between ryanair and easyjet and hungarian owned wizzair they deliver a lot of tourist forints into the magyar economy

only around 2% of tourists in Hungary are from the USA

the majority arrive by car ,then plane and train

but as has been said the language of this forum dictates the users to an extent

i wish my town had tourism

we just get flights 15 hours a day and they all shoot of to london on the train :-(

tony

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Scam

I wonder where this 2% statistic comes from? And, if true, what percentage does the 2% contribute to the visitor income? I will bet it is substantial.

I once watched a UK comedy TV series set in Luton. I imagine you hear every plane that is landing and taking off.

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scam

well I live directly under the flightpath 1.5miles from the airport so yes I can hear most of them

but you get used to it

it may surprise you to know that more Romanians,Polish and Italians visit Hungary than Americans every year

but that is an accident of geography

its a great country and a lot of people love to visit it

Tony

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scam

Tony, I live close to the flightpath in and out of the local International Airport. The only flight I her is the BA 747 taking off nightly between 7:30 and 8:30. It is scheduled for about 7:30 but often takes off late. The 747 is heading for Heathrow.