We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hungarian Film / Budapest Cinemas

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
498 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Hungarian Film / Budapest Cinemas

Maybe not really a travel topic, but Hungarians love their cinema despite politics and national film funding nearly killing the once thriving film school of the 1980s ... and a history of innonavative cinema dating back to the 1950s.

Sadly most multiplexes deliver stock Hollywood product, but there are many "art house" cinemas in Budapest.

Recommendations of Hungarian films to watch (right now, before your holiday trip, while in Budapest, films you just have to see if you have any interest in the country), and the best cinemas to watch them in.

Let me open this topic before coming back with my own "must sees" ...

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,737 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hungarian Film / Budapest Cinemas

If you can find a print of The Investigator (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1092021/) I would encourage finding a way to get to it; I have been trying to find a dvd for years.

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
498 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hungarian Film / Budapest Cinemas

John, on your recommendation I've just purchased a copy of "The Investigator / A nyomozó" (German Release, Language: German and Hungarian - DVD Video) from Amazon UK for £2:75 inc postage !

There are copies available on Amazon.com in the US ... video is region 2 (so you need multi-region dvd player or convert in your pc).

Hope I enjoy it !

Must sees which immediately come to mind on a historic (war - Stalinism - 1956) theme are ...

Éjfélkor (1957) - rendező / dir : Révész György

A Tanú (1969) - rendező / dir: Bacsó Péter

Egymásra Nézve (1982) - rendező / dir: Makk Károly

Szerencsés Dániel (1983) - rendező / dir: Sándor Pál

Te Rongyos élet (1983) - rendező / dir: Bacsó Péter

Szomorú vasárnap (1999) - rendező / dir: Rolf Schübel

Amerikai Rapszódia (2001) - rendező / dir: Gárdos Éva

Szabadság, Szerelem (2006) - rendező / dir: Goda Krisztina

These really are films you HAVE TO SEE ... Google for English language versions ... Amerikai Rapszódia (American Rhapsody) for example stars a young 15 year old Scarlett Johansson and Nastassja Kinski as her mother ! ).

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hungarian Film / Budapest Cinemas

Actually, the history of famous Hungarians in cinema goes back at least to the 1920's. Go into the old Fezsek Klub and check it out, unless they have thrown out all the historic photos. You left out the classic cult hit, "Kontroll" as well as all the box office smash hits from Hollywood by Miklos Forman, Tony Curtis, Ernie Kovacs and others. Also, "Little Shop Around the Corner" is an Americai/Magyar classic.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 00:45
Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
498 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hungarian Film / Budapest Cinemas

Kontroll (2003) - director : Nimród Antal

Just thought everyone knew that film ... my list was cold war related.

I could do lists of 1920s / 30s / 40s Hungarian cinema ... the Örökmozgó Filmmúzeum on Erzsébet körút runs these films day and night ...

I know 1960s / 70s Hungarian cinema really well, but its "arthouse", not what you would recommend to casual cinema goers ? Jancsó Miklós can be heavy going to non nationals ...

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,737 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hungarian Film / Budapest Cinemas

Miklos Forman?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hungarian Film / Budapest Cinemas

Is there something positive to add here? Certainly there are knowledgeable folks here that can contribute to advance this thread?

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,628 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hungarian Film / Budapest Cinemas

Anyone wishing to understand modern Hungary should watch Tarantino's Freedom's Fury, about the Blood in the Water waterpolo match between Hungary and the USSR at the Melbourne Olmpics in 1956.

Another of my favourites is The Round Up (not the correct translation of Szegeny Legenyek, the Hungarian title), Jancso's influential 1965 film set in 1849, the year following the failed revolution against Hapsburg rule.

This is not the first time this topic has been raised, do a search and you will find more.

This is also an interesting read http://www.kinoeye.org/03/03/rucinski03.php

Edited: 22 July 2014, 07:03
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,628 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hungarian Film / Budapest Cinemas

This is a list of some great Hungarian Films

www.ce-review.org/video/video_hungary.html

Edited: 22 July 2014, 07:11
England/Hungary
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hungarian Film / Budapest Cinemas

Another good film to watch is:

Egri Csillagok

The type of film that's shown fairly regularly on Hungarian TV still.

Szada, Pest, Hungary
Level Contributor
425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hungarian Film / Budapest Cinemas

John, Milos Forman is a Czech guy.

Laura, the new film funding system seems to be produce enjoyable cinemas, frankly in the last 10-15 years the film funding was equal with money burning for movies produced for festivals not for cinemas. Butr we will see. At least the new White god (and not White dog, as many people read it), played mainly by dogs, is very interesting, won an award in Cannes.