We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Kurtoskalacs in Budapest?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Best Kurtoskalacs in Budapest?

Where would you recommend to have a really nice charcoal kurtoskalacs in Budapest?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Kurtoskalacs in Budapest?

I can't say that I've seen charcoal fire Kurtoskalacs in Budapest...I mostly see them at festivals, in rural areas or in Transylvania. There is typically a vendor that sells them at the Ferenciak Tere Metro in the underpass.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Kurtoskalacs in Budapest?

There are now many kiosks on the streets selling them. But we first encountered at a bakery type shoppe near the end of Vaci Utca before you go undwrground to cross the street that goes to the Elizabeth Bridge.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Kurtoskalacs in Budapest?

Hello Robbie1984

As cpfoutz mentions charcoal fire cooked Kurtoskalacs you will likely have to find at a festival or some type of outdoor cookery think food cart outdoor vendor the last time I saw one was in a park up in Normafa but as I recall it was in the late fall cooler weather so not sure if they are year round.

You can also take a look at Molnar's Kurtoskalacs being they are an indoor shop I really don't think they cook over open charcoal but like I say you can take a look or maybe email them and ask. Since chimney cake is not really one of my faves I can't speak to how good they are but they seem to be well liked here on TA Give them a look see.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d2…

Good luck let us know if you find any that are really good and to your liking

SEBESZ

Edited: 18 July 2014, 05:59
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Kurtoskalacs in Budapest?

Cpfouttz is right. The real, old style chimney cakes are most likely to be found at the festivals. Probably the best will be at the Christmas market simply because that is the best time of year to eat them!

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Kurtoskalacs in Budapest?

There is a tiny shop selling them at Örs Vezér Tere, but its not the best I've eaten.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Kurtoskalacs in Budapest?

Cross post with SEBESZ. I would have to add that I don't even know that the cakes can be cooked indoors in the traditional manner without giving everyone carbon monoxide poisoning. It would take a very expensive ventilation system to cook them old style indoors.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Kurtoskalacs in Budapest?

Hey Sebesz Molnars is the place I was thinking of if it is on Vaci Utca.

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Kurtoskalacs in Budapest?

Thanks very much for all your responses.

I thought that the Christmas markets would be one of the best places to get Kurtos.

I've been to Molnar at the end of Vaci utca and I was not very impressed (overpriced and awful customer service).

Last year I had a very nice charcoal kurtos at Normafa on the way to Libego. I was hoping that there would be more around the city. I guess I will just have to keep my eyes open and check the open air summer festival stalls. I'll report back if I find somewhere super tasty.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
893 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Kurtoskalacs in Budapest?

Robbie, the best I've had was from a stall in the zoo - no kidding. It was delicious. I don't think youd be prepared to pay the entrance fee just to get some pastry though... And stalls in zoos can change. Last year and the year before it was amazing.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 15:21
Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Kurtoskalacs in Budapest?

Six years ago we were traveling around Transylvania by train and had an early morning departure to Sighisoara. We were running late, so no time for breakfast and by the time we got to Sighisoara, it was around 1PM. Entering the Old Town the first place we came across was a place baking kurtoskalacs over an open grill, and I still remember how good it tasted, it really hit the spot.

A couple of years ago a kurtos place opened at my local shopping mall. It was only OK and closed after 6 months.

@Robbie. If you find a good place, please let me know, I'm going in October.

@