We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting rid of forints

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
189 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Getting rid of forints

We will be in Budapest for 2 days before doing an 8 day Danube River cruise. Since forints can only be used in Hungary, how much do you think we need for 2 days and what can we do with any "leftovers?"

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting rid of forints

There are donation boxes at any and all of the churches for the poor and needy. In addition, there are buckets at all major airports that will accept any currency in any amount to feed starving children around the world. Just a thought. Might help you enjoy your posh cruise a little more. Since you are taking a cruise, nearby St Stephan's Basilica, St. Micheal's and across the river, Matyas Templom and St. Anne's will gratefully accept any donation for those less fortunate.

Enjoy your cruise and God bless.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 19:39
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting rid of forints

Helen, are you thinking about eating out and visiting museums, or one of the baths? How much money you will need depends largely on what you are planning to do. I spent 5 days in Budapest and had 60000 which was plenty enough. I visited 1 museum, the zoo, bought a travel pass, ate out a few times, had 2 nights out and bought souvenirs. Also took the funicular up to the castle. For 2 days, I think 20000 would do me, easily.

I am also fully with Ugyved on donating your leftovers to a church. If you say have 2000 left over, that's only about 10 Usd.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 19:52
Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
412 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting rid of forints

Forints (HUF) are fully convertible, unlike in the 1970s / 80s !

So notes 500 ft and above should be exchangeable in any bank in any country with usual commission deductions.

Change surplus into euro to fund spending on river cruise (if that's Germany bound) ... in Budapest or first port of call.

Other posters have suggested what to do with coins and petty cash.

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
412 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting rid of forints

12,000 forints per person per day should meet your needs comfortably if eating out and sightseeing.

Special exhibitions (like Tolouse-Lautrec at the Fine Arts museum) can be scary western prices, as can Summer concerts put on largely with a tourist audience in mind (Carmen on Margitsziget open air stage cost me 6,900 forints) ... but credit cards are widely accepted.

California
Level Contributor
174 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting rid of forints

If you are staying in a hotel prior to your cruise, you could use the forints to pay down your hotel bill when checking out.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting rid of forints

The exchange rate in the US, even in the big banks in Boston, will be horrific. Your Dollar converted to Forints will go much farther in Hungary that will your Dollars converted to Forints and then to Euros.If you have left over wads of folding money, buy a couple of really good bottles of Hungarian wine for the cruise and give the rest to charity and be done with it.

Happy Trails!!!

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting rid of forints

Helen

IMHO around 100 us bucks worth would suffice for 2 days with maybe a credit card as back up

charity is a personal choice, but I generally hang on to forints for my next trip!

have fun

tony

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting rid of forints

Who told you that forint cant be used elsewhere? It is quite liked in western Ukraine, many shops accept it in Romania and Slovakia along the border, and maybe even some austrian shops near the border. We are still a major economic power in the region, and the forint is desired in areas where there are singificant amount of hungarian tourists, or where the local money is not as strong.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting rid of forints

That may well be, but using a currency in a country where it isn't the legal tender is risking getting conned on the exchange rate. Plus Austria and Slovakia are in the Euro zone, would be silly using Forints.

Boston...
Level Contributor
189 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting rid of forints

Thank you all! I think the donation suggestion is an amazing and deserving one and I shall follow it We are cruising through Austria and Germany, so Rawlee your suggestion for this trip won't work, but thanks for the information. We try to use credit cards when possible, but I imagine that some of the smaller places we might eat breakfast or lunch may not take them which was why I was asking.