We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to purchase Amber Jewelry?

Bloomfield, New...
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Places to purchase Amber Jewelry?

My mother is from Poland and for some reason she has it in her head that she wants me to pick up authentic Amber jewelry from somewhere in Budapest when I visit. I did a search for Amber on this board and all I come up with are posts about Amber leaf tobacco... so does anyone have any information that I can use to start my pre-gaming in order to know how much it'll cost or where I should go?

Thanks,

Mark

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
738 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to purchase Amber Jewelry?

Maybe your mother is confusing Budapest with Prague ?

Prague is bursting with jewellery and tourist shops selling amber and garnet jewellery in massive quantities, its mined in the area (although the cheaper stuff is artificially enhanced by being compressed at high temperature to give it extra translucency) ... I bought some lovely earings set in silver in the castle district a few years ago for just a few tens of pounds.

Budapest has no more tradition of making / selling amber jewellery than say London ... its available but not special.

Amber in Hungarian is "borostyán".

Bloomfield, New...
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to purchase Amber Jewelry?

I think she just assumed that since it was Eastern Europe, she can get something similar everywhere as she just remembers having amber as a kid. I've been to Prague but don't specifically remember Amber in any of the shops... Thanks for the response.. hopefully I can read your response to her and dissuade her from forcing me to purchase amber.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to purchase Amber Jewelry?

I visited Krakow recently - I lost count how many amber jewellery stores I've seen after about 20. Loads. Huge selection, from budget to 'seriouslyhowmuch????'.

Perhaps you could get her some gorgeous china, Herendi is a world famous brand. Rather pricey, but beautiful.

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
738 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to purchase Amber Jewelry?

Herend is overpriced in Budapest ... its a "tourist market".

Similarly the antique shops around Róth Miksa utca.

I collect 19c Zolnay and Fischer Budapest and have almost given up searching in Budapest as prices are 50% above true market value, more than you can negotiate down.

I'd be interested in auctions ... do these happen in Budapest ?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to purchase Amber Jewelry?

You can find excellent auctions in Debrecen. Sign up for the catalogs..

I agree with Timea the best place to go for amber short of going to some dreadful city in northern Poland is Krakow. The bonus is that it is a great place to visit.

Edited: 27 July 2014, 20:54
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,046 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to purchase Amber Jewelry?

laura_eva did you mean Falk Miksa utca?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to purchase Amber Jewelry?

I know this an old thread, but I visited Budapest again last week and I remembered your question Mark when I was in town. I actually saw some gorgeous amber jewellery at 2 places - in the great market hall and a stall by Deak ferenc ter. Neither merchant was Hungarian though, one was from Poland for sure... The central market hall vendor had a big selection at decent prices. But I maintain that amber is not typically Hungarian :)

Bloomfield, New...
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to purchase Amber Jewelry?

hey TimeaRose... sounds good.. hopefully someone can use that info. I got my mother a dumb goose egg from a vendor at the Great Market Hall, you know the ones that are hollow, carved and painted. It only set me back about 20 bucks.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to purchase Amber Jewelry?

I bought a porcelain wall decoration plate thing, for about 10 USD :) Central market hall is a great place for folk art at decent prices. I'm sure you could get nice stuff cheaper in off the beaten path little shops, but unfortunately I don't get to those during my too short visits to Budapest.

10. Re: Places to purchase Amber Jewelry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 November 2014, 21:07