We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Places to visit

Hello, I visited Budapest 2 years ago and loved it so have decided to come back and go to the Sziget festival in 2 weeks. As much as I'm excited to see the bands I'm interested in seeing the city and the country in my spare time. I will be there for 10 days.

My question is, can anyone recommend places worth visiting for the day, maybe less than 2hours from Budapest via train. Interested in all options I am just looking to explore more and fall in love with the city again like I did 2 years ago.

Thanks

Adam

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, World Cup, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to visit

Hello Adamavery

There are so many and everyone has their particular favorites.

Perhaps do a search on the forum for "day trip" you will find many many threads loaded with info and when something catches your eye as something you really want to go to and see just come back and ask away

Best of luck with your trip planning and research

SEBESZ

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
396 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to visit

You don't even need to go out of the city to find unique experiences ...

Can I suggest the derelict 19c Kerepesi Jewish cemetery.

Could be a setting for a gothic horror movie, with tombs and catacombs designed by some of the finestt 19c Hungarian architects (noteably Lajta Béla) , overtaken by nature, you fend your way through overgrown vegetation, many tombs robbed since 1945 ...

You ring the bell to get entry (dogs will be chained) ... leave a nice tip for the cemetery's upkeep. You might be the only visitor on the day !

Its on desolate Salgótarjáni utca ... scary walk or No 37 tram.

Miskolc, Hungary
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to visit

Search the forums for Eger. It takes just about 2 hours to get there by train, but it's worth it. Both relatively close to Budapest, Vác (30 mins) and Székesfehérvár (1 hour) are also good day trip options. Although not exactly a day trip (rather an overnight destionation), Pécs has much to offer.

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
396 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to visit

If you get to Székesfehérvár I recommend the Bory castle, grand folly, and dream of architect, sculptor Bory Jenő (1879-1959) ... begun in 1923 and completed after his death ...

www.erdekesvilag.hu/a-gyonyoru-bory-var/

Its a bit out of town, but worth the taxi fare.

I second Eger as a must see day trip, and Pécs as the most interesting city outside of Budapest (bar maybe Sopron) ... except at the crawling speed of Hungarian trains both Pécs and Sopron have to be an overnight stops.

5. Re: Places to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 05:16