We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day trips from Budapest

Qormi, Malta
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
One day trips from Budapest

Hi. I am visiting Budapest in September with my family, my husband, my mother and my 9 year old daughter. We have 6.5 days available as per my previous post. I am dedicating 3.5 days to Budapest city, 1 day to Aquaworld and this leaves me with 2 days available for towns/cities/villages.

We shall be staying near Keleti (roughly 15 minutes on foot away) and have looked around at any possible 'destinations':

a) Szentendre

b) Pecs

c) Eger

d) Debrecen

e) Gyor

f) Visegrad

We are looking for somewhere with nice views, maybe with a few shops (as husband likes shopping!!!) and cafes...possibly also large picnic/green areas to enjoy lunch with daughter running around.

Any help deciding on which 2 cities to visit.

Many many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Aquaworld
Aquaworld
354 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,072 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One day trips from Budapest

Have you thought about renting bikes? Szentendre is only a few hours away on a bike (depending on speed).

Else I would recommend Debrecen, it has a really huge park, and a nice downtown. And, it has a big thermal bath!

http://www.aquaticum.hu/

Qormi, Malta
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One day trips from Budapest

Rawlee, believe it or not, only my 9 year old can ride the bike :/ I know it sounds weird but we are not so accustomed to biking! Debrecen seems to be a good choice for one of the days as it is quite large I guess and would take 1 day to go around. Any other city/town you'd suggest - from the list or not :)

Thanks

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
795 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day trips from Budapest

Gyor has a very nice historical downtown, it's worth for a one day trip. Eger is nice, too. So it's not an question to choose. Maybe Gyor is the easiest to reach by train out of the longer destinations (Gyor, Pecs, Eger, Debrecen).

Mentioned in this post
Eger
Eger
Heves County, Hungary
Qormi, Malta
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One day trips from Budapest

I am seeing that Debrecen is 2.45hrs away from Budapest, same as Bratislava. Would you suggest Bratislava?

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Bratislava
Bratislava
Bratislava Region, Slovakia
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day trips from Budapest

Skip Bratislava. In the time you have its not worthwhile.

Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
Bratislava Region, Slovakia
Qormi, Malta
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: One day trips from Budapest

Ok Timea. So back to original list :/ I am a bit confused as some of these towns look very similar and I need to sort of ensure I do the right choice...

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day trips from Budapest

What is it that most interests you? Gyor is a pretty town with nice architecture, but there isn't a great deal to do there - unless you include a trip to nearby Pannonhalma Abbey, which is a stunningly beautiful place.

Qormi, Malta
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: One day trips from Budapest

You are absolutely right. Since we have a mixture of ages - 60 years, 31 years, 32 years and 9 years, I am seeking a couple of destinations which would include beautiful scenery, maybe castles, shopping malls, nice picnic areas - Honestly we are not into museums. Hope this can help you help me :)

9. Re: One day trips from Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 06:16