We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking metro from keleti station

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Taking metro from keleti station

Hello, hope someone can help me. I will be arriving at keleti station from Krakow at 9am tomorrow and planning to take metro to get to my hotel (Art'otel). The hotel website says

Take subway M2 (direction Déli pályaudvar)

Get off at Batthyány tér and walk south on Bem rakpart, toward the Chain Bridge, the art’otel budapest will be on your right

My questions are:

How long the walk from the stop to the hotel as I will be dragging my suit case

Where can I change my money at keleti station to buy train ticket

I caught bus from the airport to my hotel when I got to Warsaw last week and it was pretty easy to do it even during fairly busy day. Is it fair to expect similar situation in budapest?

Many thanks in advance.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking metro from keleti station

Do not change money at Keleti. My boyfriend did it a couple of years back despite me telling him not to, he got a terrible rate. You would be best off pre-booking a cab with Fo taxi - you can do it online on fotaxi.hu.

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
412 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking metro from keleti station

If you do thake the metro to Batthyány tér its a 400 - 450m walk to your hotel (I'd guess 4 - 5 minutes). You could take the 19 or 41 tram from outside the metro entrance and travel one stop to be dropped at the door of the hotel ... the trams only go in your desired direction as Batthyány tér is the terminal stop.

If you do opt for taxi the fare should be just a bit over 2000 forints ... but check taxi posts on this forum about calling a reputable cab, as the private cars queuing at the taxi rank will do their best to rob you !

There is an ATM / cash dispenser within Keleti station, its on the right hand (North) side as you face the main entrance from the platforms. Also if you exit from that side and cross the road you'll see at least three banks with ATMs and change facilities. Don't accept the ATMs offered rate (usually poor) but select to be billed in forints, that way you get the official rate charged by your own bank plus their fees.

You can buy public transport passes and tickets at Keleti using a credit or debit card ...

Good luck !

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking metro from keleti station

Thank you for your help. I have arrived safely in budapest and managed to take m2 and walked about 500m to my hotel. Very easy... Especially there's information office at the station and they helped me purchasing ticket and showed me how to get to my hotel.

4. Re: Taking metro from keleti station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 05:17