We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We at the Castle Hill and my wanted to buy a Table cloth

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
359 posts
528 reviews
Save Topic
We at the Castle Hill and my wanted to buy a Table cloth

The lady wanted 100,000 HUF for a table cloth. I said no and the wife is super upset with me. And its cash. I don't know if it is cheap or the real McCoy, Most of the flowers are done by machines and then attached to the weave so can you tell me about it. It is kinda late now since we are leaving tomorrow, but next time it would be great to know. We bought a silk runner from Japan and that was $250 Silk and woven with cranes and all that.

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We at the Castle Hill and my wanted to buy a Table cloth

100,000 forints for a tablecloth ... you made a good call !

That's the most audatious rip-off I've ever heard tried. I guess they're hoping for gullible tourists not familiar with the currency.

I'd have offered 10,000, and maxed out at 20,000 tops if I was very keen.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We at the Castle Hill and my wanted to buy a Table cloth

Agreed, 100000 is absolutely ridiculous.

Either that, or it must have been one hell of a special tablecloth..!!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: We at the Castle Hill and my wanted to buy a Table cloth

10K won't buy much, but for 100K you should not only get the table cloth but also the table and chairs.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: We at the Castle Hill and my wanted to buy a Table cloth

Your wife is upset that you didnt buy it for 425 USD? I googled it in hungarian, and counldnt find anything beyond 16000 HUF.

rofosbolt.com/asztalterito-diszitoterito.html

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: We at the Castle Hill and my wanted to buy a Table cloth

Rawlee, with all due respect, those are place mats, not table cloths.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: We at the Castle Hill and my wanted to buy a Table cloth

If you are looking to buy an authentic Kalocsai lace and hand embroidered full sized table cloth you will pay top dollar. But you can get a perfectly good cotton cloth with embroidery for a reasonable price.

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We at the Castle Hill and my wanted to buy a Table cloth

Maybe I was a bit unfair, a large genuine Kalocsai hand embroidered tablecloth may well be worth 30 - 40,000 forints (but not 100,000) ... but use at your peril as a single red wine spill will ruin it as you can't use bleach on coloured fabric.

Tablecloths are a bit passé too ... I always set my table with individual woven placemats, and heat resistant smaller mats if required, coasters for wine glasses, so you can see the woodgrain of the table. Only my mum uses tablecloths !

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We at the Castle Hill and my wanted to buy a Table cloth

I checked online out of curiosity and the large Matyó table cloths seem to around the 30,000 mark.

I am really interested what price would this lady quote to a non-tourist, or someone who speaks Hungarian without an accent.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: We at the Castle Hill and my wanted to buy a Table cloth

The locals wouldn't be shopping up on the hugely expensive castle hill. They would go to the central market or other places where the competition is more intense and the selection is greater.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We at the Castle Hill and my wanted to buy a Table cloth

I know, but it nevertheless interests me.