We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do they have food on the train from Budapest to Vienna

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
291 posts
452 reviews
Save Topic
do they have food on the train from Budapest to Vienna

I was wondering if we can get food on the train from Keleti to Westbanhof. and what kind of food, like goulash soup or Panini English breakfast just to name a few. or should we eat at the hotel before we leave early in the morning.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
270 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do they have food on the train from Budapest to Vienna

Dear Robert H,

You didn't specify the train so I guessed that you are taking a Railjet. If that's the case then you can browse through this menu:

http://www.mav-start.hu/res/railjet_etlap.pdf

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
291 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do they have food on the train from Budapest to Vienna

Sorry we are going from keleti to westbanhof and it's 3hrs52min so I think it's a fast one

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do they have food on the train from Budapest to Vienna

Robert, you probably can get some food, but at inflated prices. You could do some shopping the night before, that's what I would do. Nobody will tell you off for having a sandwich in your compartment, a lot of people do it.

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
415 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do they have food on the train from Budapest to Vienna

Raijet is typically a 3hr 5min journey, so you may be on an inter-city train ?

Then the menu posted doesn't apply.

Looking at the menu the food is way better than you get on any British train these days, ever since the death of the dining carriage in 2011.

I remember the full english breakfasts served on my regular Euston to Manchester Piccadilly business trips in the 1980s, and steak or fish served on proper china plates on the trip home. It was the big incentive to go by train rather than fly ! By 2000 you had to have a 1st class ticket to use the restaurant car ... what a sad decline !

Food on regular Hungarian inter-city (when available) is pretty basic, so if that's your train I'd eat before or stock up with decent deli picnic food and drink for the journey.

5. Re: do they have food on the train from Budapest to Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 07:16