We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tegezés and magázás ?

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
854 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Tegezés and magázás ?

"Tegezés és a magázás" or in French "Tu et vous" ...

Seems to be dying in France so much more so than in Hungary.

I hate the formality and superior / inferior class distinction it implies; having grown up learning the language in familiar family circles I find it so hard to adopt to formal conventions ...

So I drop the odd clanger when say addressing a Hungarian doctor, using the familiar, to the point my mum apologises for me !

Am I alone with this problem, does it really matter these days ?

Laura

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Comme Chez Soi
££ - £££, Italian, Mediterranean, European
Bors GasztroBar
£, Fast food, International, European
Desszert.Neked
££ - £££, French, Cafe, European
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tegezés and magázás ?

What I was taught is, I am supposed to "magáz" everybody older, and everydoby of about the same age as I am. Also, I am supposed to "magáz" at the workplace everybody who is older, or a superior.

Of course, only until the other person initiates "tegezés".

My opinion is, "magázás" is for between strangeers.

Also, if you "tegez" someone without consent, that is an insult, not a minor one.

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
854 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tegezés and magázás ?

"If you "tegez" someone without consent, that is an insult, not a minor one."

Really ?

Maybe I need some language tuition, as I drop into tegezés without realising, so many subtleties of grammar ... and I pass as a native Hungarian in general speech when speaking to strangers ... ?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tegezés and magázás ?

I have no idea what is being discussed here not knowing what I am guessing to be Hungarian. But I suspect it is not travel related. So why the thread?

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
854 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tegezés and magázás ?

Greyhound, I think I've explained my topic by "Tu et vous" ... guess you don't speak French ?

Its travel related because its about language etiquette, for those of us "proficient" and those of us learning.

Are people who speak multiple languages banned from asking questions about the Hungarian language on a Hungarian travel forum ...

Way I see it is that 50% of regular posters here do speak Hungarian.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tegezés and magázás ?

In a way I agree with Laura, for Hungarian speakers living outside ye olde country brushing up on some language etiquette can be helpful. Sometimes 'tegezés' can be rude. I used to work in a shop , it was a summer job. I served a lady, she was polite, paid, left. She 'magázd' me. 5 minutes later she comes back and says I overcharged her by a large amount on a bottle of booze. She 'tegezett' me this time so she meant to be rude. It was her fault, she thought the cost was x, because she looked at the wrong shelf. Horrible woman.

These days I 'magáz' everyone I don't know, unless I meet them in a pub and look my age. It's just polite I think, but then my friends tell me I am quite old fashioned. I don't automatically 'tegez' anyone until they invite me to.

Edited: 05 August 2014, 20:55
Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
854 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tegezés and magázás ?

Timea ... I still find it really hard to adapt to the conventions of magázás, growing up in an ex-pat community where everyone tegezd ...

I'm guessing you're Hungarian born, and are better at the language than me ?

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tegezés and magázás ?

Well, Laura, you are not as young as I am, and you are not a male, unlike me. You can change the tone whenever you wish. as you are "on the top", though it is appreciated if dont just start it out of the blue, but ask if its ok for others. The order, according to which people can initiate "tegezés" is older women-older men-women-men, from top to bottom.

Also, a younger person should not initiate "tegezés" with an older one. Very impolite. Exception is workplace, in case of a younger boss. But it is not uncommon to have an older subordinate "tegez" a boss, while this younger boss "magáz" the older colleague.

As to your last question, the moment your accent reveals you (if you have any), the rules get lifted.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tegezés and magázás ?

Laura, I was brought up in a town called Galanta in southern Slovakia, I moved to the UK when I was 19. My first language is Hungarian, I have always considered myself Hungarian, my identity is really strong in that aspect. When I go to Hungary some of the expressions I use make people go ' wow that word stopped being cool in 2007' and 'you sound like my mum' .

The language and 'slang' words evolve daily, but with me living away, I'm stuck with the expressions used up to 2006. It gives people a laugh sometimes.

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
854 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tegezés and magázás ?

Is Hungary the last remaining country with serious linguistic seperation between familiar and strangers ?

I was born and schooled in the UK, and despite Hungarian parents the language I think and create in is very much English ...

But I read and appreciate Ady Endre, Petőfi Sándor, Babits Mihály, József Attila, in Hungarian ...

I do just manage to understand Hungarian "political speak" as on TV news ... (does anyone understand politicians ?)

Gets me that I do faux pas with slipping up on "te / ön" ....

More time at the coal face of Budapest life required ?

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tegezés and magázás ?

Laura, in Slovakian there is a separation too - you in 'formal speak' is 'Vy', informal is 'ty'. Older Slovakians tend to be rather uptight about it, I heard older people 'magáz' kids / late teens/. They 'magáz' me when I picked up my first Id at 15.