We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation advice

Pitesti, Romania
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transportation advice

Hello there ! I will stay 2 nights in Budapest, at the Hunguest Hotel Griff and Tulip Inn Budapest Millennium.

1.Which are the best trams or metro lines to reach downtown from these hotels ?

2. How much is a tram ticket and a metro ticket and where do I buy them ?

3. At what hour the metro and the trams close ?

4. Are there any night trams, to reach these 2 hotels from downtown Budapest ?

Thanks a lot ! Cannot wait to visit your magnificent town.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Griff Hotel
Griff Hotel
206 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Pitesti, Romania
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation advice

oh, and do you know what is the best way to reach Citadella to see the view of Budapest ?

Mentioned in this post
Citadella
Citadella
265 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation advice

Hotel Griff is in a 100x nicer area. South Buda is considered an upscale neighbourhood, while Üllői út, where Tulip Inn is, is almost a motorway.

In case of Griff, the tram right in front of the hotel takes you directly to downtown, and also stops at the foot of the hill the Citadella is on.

From Tulip, you either take a bus to downtown, or walk back to the metro a few hundred meters away.

Anything you want to know about public transport can be read here:

http://www.bkk.hu/en/main-page/news/

I would buy 2x24 hour ticket if I were you. A single ticket, which is valid for 1 vehicle, costs 350 HUF, while 2 24 hour ticket would be 2x1650 HUF, it includes travel on most of the things in the city.

Mentioned in this post
Griff Hotel
Griff Hotel
206 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Citadella
Citadella
265 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation advice

Oh ,we only have 1 night tram in downtown, everything else is buses. There is one, 918, which stops right in front of your hotel.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
270 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation advice

Dear Mihai T,

I wouldn't say that the area around Tulip Inn is 100x worse than the one around Griff, it's just simply not that interesting.

Anyway like Rawlee said tram line 49 will take you to the downtown and tram line 19 will take you up the embankments of the Buda side from Griff. As for Tulip Inn you can take the M3 metro line from there after the aforementioned little walk. As for night buses: yes, 918 will take you to Griff and 914, 914A, 950 and 950A will take you to the metro stops near Tulip Inn.

p.s.: I also say that it's better to buy passes rather than single tickets.

Edited: 07 August 2014, 16:51
Mentioned in this post
Griff Hotel
Griff Hotel
206 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Pitesti, Romania
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation advice

Thanks for the advice. I didn t choose the hotels, I am in a circuit so that the travel agency decided to stay at these hotels, but I am glad at least that they didn t picked one outside Budapest and I have as you said bus,trams and metro lines to take me downtown.

Thank you again for your kind reply.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation advice

Hello Mihai T

You can see the prices for tickets and passes here as well as a route planner and maps just by searching at the top right of the page under the Public Transport box for what you want .... http://www.bkk.hu/en/prices/

And I too agree that a pass will better serve you than individual tickets.

Enjoy your travels

SEBESZ

7. Re: Transportation advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 06:17