We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest to Aggtelek

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
218 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest to Aggtelek

Hi, has anyone done a day trip from Budapest to Aggtelek by train? We're interested in the caves there, but it seems close to impossible for us to go by public transport!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest to Aggtelek

You can easily get to Eger by train or bus in about 2 hours. For the rest of your journey, see the link below.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274891-i5117-k769…

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
218 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest to Aggtelek

Thanks! Am still wondering whether to visit Szentendre and the rest of the Danube Bend or Aggtelek and the caves!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest to Aggtelek

Hello Aqua37

As you mentioned you will only have four nights in wonderful Budapest you will barely have enough time to really take in most of its major sites and with it having so much to offer .... perhaps you are biting off more than you can chew.

I completely understand the want and desire to see as much as one can when on holiday but if it were me I would focus my time in Budapest itself with such a short amount of time.

But thats just me .... plus trust me on this you will find no shortage of sights and sounds to keep you busy and enthralled over the course of what will seem 4 very short days.

Good luck with your trip research and enjoy your travels

SEBESZ

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest to Aggtelek

With all due respect, there are some people who are cave people, just as there are train people, etc. I have been just about everywhere in Hungary and Aggtelek is one of the very, very best places in the entire country. If it is of special interest to you, by all means go for it. You can easily do it in a day and see a lot more along the way and back.

Happy Trails!!!

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
218 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest to Aggtelek

@SEBESZ : it's true I have found many things to do in Budapest but would still like a 'day out'. The thing is that a Danube bend tour can be easily done with a tour company and everything will be taken care of by them, whereas a trip to Aggtelek has to be done on our own, and it's a long way out.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
218 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest to Aggtelek

Thnx ugyved - we've already been several storeys underground in Kutna Hora, Prague and believe me it was a wonderful experience. That is why we're intrigued with Aggtelek.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest to Aggtelek

If you liked the "Bone Cave" you will love Aggetelek. Occupied since prehistoric times. If I might suggest an itinerary for you ?

I would take an early train from BP to Eger. Then I would find an English speaking taxi driver and negotiate a "flat rate" for the day. How much will he make in a day waiting and hoping to take tourists to the wine cellars? Not much. Agree to pay his admission to the caves and for his lunch. This will all cost less than a guided tour along the Danube and you will have your own personal guide for places rarely seen by standard tourists.

Drive to the caves, stopping where you want in any of the lovely roadside cafes for pastries and coffee.Take the tour. Then on your way back stop in Belapatfalve and have your driver arrange to have the 12th century monastery (another World Heritage Site) opened up for you so you can have your own private tour. After that, drive to Szilvasvarad for a fresh caught trout and truffles meal while you watch the Lipizzaner horses practice their leaps and prancing. Return to Eger and bid goodby to your driver. Then tour the castle, cathedral and the very rare camera obscura. Take a late train back to Budapest. This will be a very full day, but one you will remember forever. Much better than the standard cattle call tour of the Danube Bend. I know you can easily do this because I have done it.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
218 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budapest to Aggtelek

That's a full day's tour ugyved! However we have to be as lucky as you to manage that - we might not find an available driver as easy as that!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Budapest to Aggtelek

Do you know how to send a PM (Private Message)? If so message me and I will help you though what probably sounds difficult but is really easy and worth it.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 20:55
Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
218 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budapest to Aggtelek

I think I managed.