We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Add a city to my trip. Yes another one of these.......

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Add a city to my trip. Yes another one of these.......

OK, I am a 42 y/o somewhat intermediate traveler. I have been to Dublin, Paris, Venice, and London. I have decided to take my 21 y/o nephew with me on a trip to Europe. We are going to do a couple days in Rome (too short I know) then fly to Budapest for bout 4 days. I have one more leg I can add to this. We are not big shoppers, but more cultural travelers looking for something nice and kinda interesting. I am thinking Krakow or Prague. It could also be Barcelona or somewhere else as I can position myself to return back to the states. We have been pretty dead-set on Poland but now I am not so sure. Any suggestions? Our budget is somewhat limited.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,796 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Add a city to my trip. Yes another one of these.......

Barcelona is a wonderful city for walking and exploring, it has all of the Gaudi-related buildings, and an added bonus is that it is on the water with decent beaches and harbor-front restaurants.

Pjk

Detroit
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Add a city to my trip. Yes another one of these.......

Thanks I was considering Barcelona. Won't be easy on a rewards ticket but I may try. Would you choose Prague over Poland?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
865 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Add a city to my trip. Yes another one of these.......

Krakow is wonderful. Since your budget is limited, it may be the best choice. There is lots to see and do.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,005 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Add a city to my trip. Yes another one of these.......

I prefer Madrid a million times over Barcelona, but Krakow seems a better choice. Prague is very chocolate-boxy.

Vienna is only 3.25 hours by train from Budapest, but is entirely different, though compared to somewhere like Krakow it is expensive.

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
396 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Add a city to my trip. Yes another one of these.......

My favourite large Spanish city is Seville, closely followed by Salamanca (Toledo and Segovia are historic, interesting and picturesque beyond belief !). Spain is a huge desert with towns / cities miles from each other in barren landscape ... I love it but its not a convenient short stop destination.

I would recommend Prague as it offers so much, a historic old hill town bigger and more authentic than Budapest with a spectacular true gothic cathedral + outlying monasteries, an equivalent "Pest" side of the river which is truly historic, wonderful art nouveau too ... its not as scenically pretty as Budapest, but has so much more history still extant. Not "chocolate box" at all !

And Prague is still cheap, just a little more expensive than Budapest, you could spend weeks there unlike I guess Krakow which you'd exhaust in a few days (sorry not been there) ?

Detroit
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Add a city to my trip. Yes another one of these.......

I should add I choose Budapest because of the Oktoberfest there. I guess it's the first one and those things can always be kind of interesting. So I will be in Budapest for the final two days of it then I figure add on another day to barf and collect my bearings. I am really wanting to see Krakow though as I can't say I've ever really heard anything bad. I believe I will skip Prague as I am sure I will get a chance to see it in the near future. Although I would love to. Would train travel from Budapest be very expensive/difficult? I am having trouble getting any real info on this as its all over the place. I have seen everything from yeah sure, just walk up and get tickets its super cheap to I must have tickets early and its quite expensive. I was thinking the Budapest to Breclav, Breclav to Katowice, Katowice to Krakow route. I think I would like this but my nephew is only 22 and I fear he would find this dull and a burden.

Detroit
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Add a city to my trip. Yes another one of these.......

"Chocolate Boxy" Lol, love those British terms....

8. Re: Add a city to my trip. Yes another one of these.......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2015, 05:17