We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mum's 60th Birthday

London
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mum's 60th Birthday

Hi, my sister and I are taking my mum away for her 60th birthday and I wanted some advice on what could be a nice surprise for her as a treat. She's a very young 60 so evening activity is fine, not a huge drinker and likes nice scenery.

I have booked the Fisherman's Bastion restaurant for her birthday meal, as i wanted somewhere with nice views and good food. Is this the best place for this? We are spending most of her birthday travelling from London to Budapest and only arrive at 6:30 pm but i want to make the evening and next day special for her. I don't really mind how much it costs as long as she enjoys herself. Perhaps there are some bars with nice views and live music? Or people can recommend something else that might be nice to do?

We then go on to Vienna for two days after Budapest.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mum's 60th Birthday

Have you considered a visit to one of the baths? There is many in Budapest, you could treat the 3 of you to a massage perhaps?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mum's 60th Birthday

Yes there is a view, but you can do a lot better than Fisherman's Bastion for a 60th birthday dinner. Look at the views before or after dinner.

See the link below at #9 for some ideas.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274887-i263-k7711…

London
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mum's 60th Birthday

Hiya, yeah i've booked a lovely spa and massages for our last day in Budapest. Thanks though :)

London
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mum's 60th Birthday

Thank you for your help :) I had read mixed reviews about halszbastya but didn't know where else would be good. Do you recommend Gundel then? Is the atmosphere sophisticated though as i want somewhere where the atmosphere feels nice as well as the food being excellent.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mum's 60th Birthday

Gundel is as good as it gets for true, gourmet, authentic Hungarian food in a very elegant setting. It is as good as any experience you can have in London.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mum's 60th Birthday

You could do an evening cruise - not the dinner ones, they are expensive for what you get. Legenda operates the most famous one, its about an hour I think and takes you down the river and back. The parliament and the Castle look amazing at night.

London
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mum's 60th Birthday

Thanks again, that's really helpful.

London
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mum's 60th Birthday

Great idea, thank you. I was hoping to take my mum on a river cruise in Vienna but this one looks lovely. Do you know of any places at night that have nice views and maybe live music?

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
738 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mum's 60th Birthday

You say you arrive at 6:30pm ... I hope that is the hotel and not the airport ?

In Budapest you really need to sit down at table by 9:30pm, usual is around 8:00pm.

Where is your hotel, as it will influence choice of restaurant. Are you travelling this month and so expecting hot weather / outdoor eating ? Is this first night your only evening in Budapest, only chance to see the illuminated riverside ? Have you been to Budapest before, do you like real traditional Hungarian food, or prefer a more modern fusion of traditional with pan-european ideas, or even oriental ? Are you happy with a gypsy band or does that irritate you and your mum ?

The Halászbástya Étterem / restaurant does get really good reviews on TA, undeniably brilliant views and the castle area is charming at night with wonderful vistas of the city, you'll be eating absolutely in the company of tourists (quite usual in Budapest), and the prices are middling decent / not gourmet London restaurant prices (£30 - 45 for food) ... pricey for Budapest as you undoubtedly could get a better culinary experience for the price ... but you pay for location.

I do think the castle area is a good option for a special birthday if you have limited time in the town, except lively bars are a long way down and across the river (well 30 minutes).

Wouldn't recommend nightime riverboat trip as it would be a real squeeze fitting it in with a celebratory meal afterwards unless you head for the so-so tourist restaurants on the Duna Corso which do give great views of illuminated castle hill ...

Unless you are a bit more specific about what you are looking for its difficult to recommend options ... restaurants with "a view" do not correspond with the really good places !

budapest
Level Contributor
449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mum's 60th Birthday

If you want to combine spectacular view with excellent food then https://www.facebook.com/locchiodistile is indeed very nice new place. You can also check the reviews to see if that fits your purpose. It is expensive as well to say the least.

As Laura says, you need to really decide what kind of food or place you want (e.g. if you like italian then Fausto's both in terms of setting and the food would qualify one of the top restaurants even in good old italy).

This is anyway one of the most popular topics, so you can find extensive and sometimes heated discussions about it. in the forum.. :-)