We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't want to make a mistake on our very 1st day in Budapest

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Don't want to make a mistake on our very 1st day in Budapest

Our train from Krakow arrives in the evening of September 6 at Keleti Train Terminal. I have read about the situation with highly priced cabs waiting outside the terminal. But I am leery of public transportation at this time of evening, especially with luggage, and looking conspicuously like tourists. We are staying at the Hotel Zenit Budapest Palace. Is calling for a taxi by phone our best choice? Would anyone have an idea what would be a reasonable amount of fare? Any advice would be appreciated.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't want to make a mistake on our very 1st day in Budapest

Public transport runs until quite late, how late are you arriving?

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
793 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't want to make a mistake on our very 1st day in Budapest

According to the calculator of Fotaxi it should be about 1800-2000 HUF. You can call a taxi by phone, it's always a good solution.

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't want to make a mistake on our very 1st day in Budapest

http://www.citytaxi.hu/index.php?lang=en

http://www.fotaxi.hu/?Language=en#main-menu

both these 2 are reliable although I did have an issue with 1 driver speeding

both sets of controllers will have some command of english

cheers tony

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't want to make a mistake on our very 1st day in Budapest

Thank you all for your quick and helpful answers. The taxi fare seems quite reasonable, and our best choice. Our train gets in around 20:30, so we will probably be tired and anxious to get to our hotel. I think we will save buses for the next day. Would anyone know the location of an ATM inside the train terminal? I assume that calling the taxi from a pay-phone will not be an issue.

Hungary will be the 3rd of 7 European countries on this trip, so I need all the advice you can offer.

Szada, Pest, Hungary
Level Contributor
425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't want to make a mistake on our very 1st day in Budapest

There are lots of ATMs in Budapest, there is surely at least one in the train station, but you can also pay the taxi with credit card, ask the controller when ordering.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't want to make a mistake on our very 1st day in Budapest

I suspect that finding a pay phone and having the change to pay it will be your biggest issue. I have no idea how that can be done without forints (and change?) I've heard that the ATM at Keleti is pretty bad on rates of exchange, but have no personal experience with it.

Possibly one idea (as you're coming from Krakow) would be to exchange some of your remaining zlotys into forints there. Granted that you'll only get bills, but a purchase of something truly minor at Keleti should get you change for a pay phone, if there are any working ones at Keleti.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't want to make a mistake on our very 1st day in Budapest

You can buy a snack on the train and you will get change in Forint. You will then have your change and can go straight to the phones at Keleti.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't want to make a mistake on our very 1st day in Budapest

Thank you. This is all good advice. I will try to exchange zlotys for forints while still in Krakow, buy a snack on the train for change, and pray that I can find a working pay-phone in Keleti. While I am bringing my cellphone along, i plan to keep it off because of roaming charges. Using a credit card for the taxi is also a good idea. I did look up a map of the Keleti train station, and found the location of the ATM's.

I really appreciate the helpful suggestions.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't want to make a mistake on our very 1st day in Budapest

If you found the map for Keleti, you should also be able to see where the phones are located. You can use your Zloty on the train and get change back in Forint. No need to exchange in Krakow unless you have a huge amount of Zloty in which case you can exchange them in Budapest..

10. Re: Don't want to make a mistake on our very 1st day in Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 05:17