We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maria Utca, District 8/Palace District

Tamworth
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Maria Utca, District 8/Palace District

Hi,

Some of my friends are a little concerned that we are staying in the above area after reading an old thread on here.

Can you help me put their minds at ease! I have stayed here before in the same hotel we are going too (Central Hotel 21) and loved the area. Local bars and not too touristy!

Kind Regards

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
795 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maria Utca, District 8/Palace District

This area is OK. The other side of district 8 is sometimes a little bit "risky", but this part (inside the Grand Boulevard) is alright, with some popular places (Krudy Gyula utca, Mikszath Kalman ter), so no need to be worried. Just don't go to the other side (outside the boulevard) after darkness, and there won't be any problems.

Tamworth
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maria Utca, District 8/Palace District

Is outside the boulevard towards the outskirts of the city? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Last time I was there we walked as if away from the Danube and came across a lot of groups hanging around street corners drinking. It was mid afternoon so didn't feel too threatened. There was only 2 of us but will be 4 of us next time.

I have to say though I've been to Madrid, Prague, Amsterdam, Paris and London and felt safe in Budapest as much as anywhere.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
795 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maria Utca, District 8/Palace District

Just one addition: the (automatic) link to the hotel in your comment is not correct, this is the right one:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g274887-d137394…

To avoid misunderstandings.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
795 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maria Utca, District 8/Palace District

Yes, that's right, towards the outskirts of the city. Probably there wouldn't be any problems there either, but if you want to be sure, it's better to stay inside the boulevard. But anyway, you are right, Budapest is pretty safe.

Tamworth
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maria Utca, District 8/Palace District

Thank you. Didn't realise I put a link! Our Hotel is called Central Hotel 21. I think sometimes going off the beaten track can be good but I agree, have to be safe also.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
795 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maria Utca, District 8/Palace District

Tripadvisor does this link automatically, but sometimes not correctly, like in this case, there are two hotels with similar names.

That area outside the boulevard has no good reputation, but it comes mainly from the past, now the situation is better (a lot of cameras/CCTV, reconstructions and so on).

Tamworth
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maria Utca, District 8/Palace District

It did seem like it was an improving area.

We walked all the way out too the beginning of Salgotarjani Utca 6 I think. By some tram lines? This did make me more aware of my surroundings but no more than anywhere else.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
270 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maria Utca, District 8/Palace District

Well the apartments of Corvin negyed are on the other side of the Körút (behind Corvin mall) yet they are among the most modern ones in the city. Or Take Rákóczi tér for example which had a very negative reputation in the 80s and now it's just a nice square. It's a long process though.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,958 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maria Utca, District 8/Palace District

I'm with ncbee -- a friend just bought an apartment out on Baross ut in the area beyond the korut and it's one of my favorite places in the city overlooking Kalvaria ter. There's great architecture around (the old Telephone Exchange building, now in an advanced stage of decay, is one of my favorite buildings in the world; it evokes the Gotham City buildings of the Batman movies). Another friend has an apartment overlooking Rakoczi ter that has spectacular old architectural detail like stained glass and sculpted plaster.

The neighborhoods are working class and poor but not dangerous; because many Roma live in the Outer Eighth it is a focus of the pervasive anti-Roma prejudice, that makes it have a high crime reputation; but the city statistics reveal that there's more crime (though there isn't much anywhere) in the Fifth (where there are mpre things of value to steal, I expect) than in the Eighth. It's not an area to wander at night because there's not a lot of English spoken and it's easy to get lost.

The Beyond Budapest tour of the Eighth is not to be missed if you'll be staying there and they have a tour in English available while you're there.

Szada, Pest, Hungary
Level Contributor
425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maria Utca, District 8/Palace District

I also agree with nbcee and john.

8. district has a bad reputation but the bad looking people there are rather poor than dangerous. However there are some streets (far from the grabd boulevard) which are not recommended for young ladies alone after dark - not because the gipsy guys will rob their valuables or harass them, just simply express their opinion about the lady.

And things are changing, the local government improves the area with reconstructions of buildings, creating new parks etc.

On the other side, there are very lively streets, food markets, cheap eateries (perhaps with the most real local food).

So the 8. district is not Harlem or St Denis, rather a bit like Havana.