We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Tip advice

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Tip advice

Not sure if 500 HUF is sufficient for a taxi tip from the airport to the city center... I NEVER take a taxi here in the States....

Thanks

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Tip advice

It is generally considered a decent tip if you give 10%. This assumes he is friendly, helps you with your bags and maybe gives you a little chatter about what you are seeing on the way in and where else you might want to go.

Happy Trails!!!

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Tip advice

Hotel taxi is picking me up for 9800 HUF........so I guess 500 is too little. I only have a 500 and a 1000 bill, so the latter is more appropriate.

I do have smaller Euros and I can pay the fare with EUs per hotel policy.

Thanks!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Tip advice

You can use a cc for you cab fare, but it doesn't generally have a space for tip. Convert your Euros, Dollars, etc at an exchange window once you get into the city.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Tip advice

1000 is fine for good service; it's less than $5 for a $50 trip. For bad service, no one will feel you were out of place choosing not to tip at all (or to round up to 10,000). For extraordinary service, blinding with the driver as your new BFF, saving your bags from being held hostage by the airline ... 2000 wouldn't be crazy (but wouldn't be expected).

Do what you feel like. In Budapest, whatever you do will be within the bounds of acceptable. Hungarians tip very modestly, tourists tip based mostly on norms from their home countries. Taxi drivers see the entire range.

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Tip advice

Thanks !!

6. Re: Taxi Tip advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 06:16