We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel in Europe

toronto
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Train travel in Europe

I have seen some posts on rail travel and some negative comments about booking with eurorail agency. Should I go onto each country's local train company? For Budapest to Vienna and Prague to Berlin? Is it possible to book point to point tickets then from North America?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel in Europe

Hello TorontoWendy

That is correct avoid ticket resellers and book directly with each countries rail site

For Budapest to Vienna use MAV http://elvira.mav-start.hu/elvira.dll/uf

For Prague to Berlin use the Czech railways eshop https://www.cd.cz/eshop/default.aspx

Yes it is possible to book point to point tickets from North America but it is important to remember that tickets purchased for international travel from the Hungarian rail site MAV must be collected from a ticket kiosk in Hungary and cannot be printed at home. See here europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Trai…

Best

SEBESZ

toronto
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel in Europe

Thanks for the info. Have you heard of the student agency site for booking bus rides. Am I right in assuming that I can't book a bus trip from Vienna to Cesky Krumlov on that site. It only shows what I think must be a train as it goes via Prague and is 6 hours for a 3 hour trip!

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel in Europe

Cesky Krumlov is a tiny village, of course it wont have direct connection with a foreign capital. You will have to go by Prague, or by some other obscure connection. For this info, look in the czech forum.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel in Europe

The only other way from Vienna to Český Krumlov is train to České Budějovice (with an easy change in České Velenice) and then local bus from there.

oebb.at/en/…index.jsp

You will see that it also gives the option to Český Krumlov, but the railway station in CK is out of town and the bus is a lot more convenient. The bus station in CB is across the road from the railway station and there are regular local buses to CK from there.

For times see www.idos.cz (English bottom right).

Edited: 25 August 2014, 11:17
5. Re: Train travel in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 07:17