We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaán Károly kilátó and Makovecz Imre kilátó

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Topic
Kaán Károly kilátó and Makovecz Imre kilátó

Hello.

After an awful lot of searching online I came up with the following coordinates:

Kaán Károly kilátó (Károly Kaán viewing tower), 47°32’0”N 18°57’18”E

Makovecz Imre kilátó (Imre Makovecz viewing tower), 47°31’47”N 18°57’58”E

Do these look correct? I have looked on Google Maps, but the image quality is too poor to be certain. I am asking because I would not want to get there only to find that the coordinates were wrong. Also, there is some conflicting information online and I would like to know that I have opted for the best information. For example, there was this page, kirandulastervezo.hu/celpont/… which gives coordinates for Clark Ádám tér!

How popular are these with tourists? There doesn't seem to be much information online. I got the information from the Hungarian website for the Children's Railway (http://www.gyermekvasut.hu/wp/latvanyossagok) and also an English webpage on their website, which gives a rather abbreviated version: www.gyermekvasut.hu/english/page.php?4. I guess the assumption is that English-speaking visitors have less time on their hands and only want to see the highlights.

I may have some more questions later, but that's all I have the stamina for at the moment!

Thanks.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaán Károly kilátó and Makovecz Imre kilátó

I've found this map, which confirms your coordinates:

…blog.hu/te/…B3.jpg

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaán Károly kilátó and Makovecz Imre kilátó

Thanks. Yes, that all seems to tie up!

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaán Károly kilátó and Makovecz Imre kilátó

Yup, those are Nagy-Hárs-hegy (Kaán Károly-kilátó) and Kis-Hárs-hegy (Makovecz-kilátó), the coordinates are correct.

Follow the yellow hiking route sign (like this: http://baranyaidombsag.ucoz.hu/Hirek3/uj_sarga_jelzes.jpg) from Szépjuhászné (Children's Railway Station stop) via Nagy-Hárs-hegy (about 1 km, steep climb) to Kis-Hárs-hegy (1 km, mostly descent). From the Makovecz lookout tower you can go back to Szépjuhászné via another route. Or you can walk all the way down to Hűvösvölgy. Worth a visit, those two are less visited lookout towers than Erzsébet-kilátó on the top of János-hegy. I really like Kaán Károly-kilátó.

Note: in the past summers there were several problems with hornets nesting very close to the yellow hiking route. This year hornets are few and I'm yet to hear of any trouble, just keep an eye open, and if you see a number of big wasps, don't try to piss them off :)

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaán Károly kilátó and Makovecz Imre kilátó

Thanks. I went to the Erzsébet-kilátó on my first trip to Budapest. It occurred to me that it would be nice to see the other end of the Children's Railway route, and to see something of the hills too. Last time I just did what I think is a fairly standard route of cogwheel railway, Children's Railway, Erzsébet-kilátó, and then down on the cable car back to the city centre. I also like the look of the Budakeszi Vadaspark and would be interested to see the Paulite Monastery, Budaszentlőrinc. The Makkosmária Roman Catholic Pilgrimage Church seems to be in the wrong direction, and I am not sure how interesting it is anyway.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kaán Károly kilátó and Makovecz Imre kilátó

I also came up with these:

Fazekas-hegyi kilátó (Fazekas Hill belvedere) (WW2 bunker), 47°32’40.1”N 18°57’24.8”E

Nagyrét

Széchenyi Memorial and Belvedere, 47°29’40.6”N 18°59’14.1”E

Tót asszony sírja (lit. ‘dead woman’s grave’), 47°32’9”N 18°57’58”E

Tündér-szikla, 47°30’55”N 18°58’8”E

Úti Madonna kápolna (Chapel of the Madonna), 47°29’18”N 18°58’34.5”E

It occurs to me that there is so much to see in the hills that one could very well walk the whole length of the Children's Railway one direction and take the train the other direction. I am assuming that the Budakeszi Vadaspark does not take as long as the big zoo in the city centre.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kaán Károly kilátó and Makovecz Imre kilátó

I dont think either that the vadaspark would be more than a few hours long programme. If you want to spend a day near animals, I suggest the zoo of Nyíregyháza. That place is huge, and in contrast to the Budapest zoo, is outside the city. It is the size of Városliget.

http://www.sostozoo.hu/

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kaán Károly kilátó and Makovecz Imre kilátó

You can couple the Széchenyi Memorial and the Úti Madonna Kápolna, they are close to the Széchenyi-hegy station of the Children's Railway. You can climb back to either Normafa or Széchenyi-hegy. Úti Madonna Kápolna is absolutely tiny but charming :) The Széchenyi Memorial used to be on Heroes' Square funnily enough and was transported up to the hills.

I'd recommend Tündér-szikla, the best is to start from Normafa to reach it. Beautiful rocks.

Makkosmária is an easy walk from Normafa, nice forest restplace and church,but not that very attractive.

Fazekas-hegy - nothing much to see there. Nagyrét - as its name says, it's a big meadow.

There is actually a yearly trail walk dedicated to the sights around the Children's Railway on 15 March (daylight trail) and 20 August (night trail, reverse direction). Total distance is about 19 kms, total elevation is about 900 m, you have 6 hours to complete the route, touching the 20 or so checkpoints. The normal direction route is Széchenyi-hegy -> Széchenyi-emlék -> Úti Madonna Kápolna -> Normafa station -> Csillebérc -> Normafa -> Disznófő -> Virág-völgy -> Makkosmária -> János-hegy station -> Elizabeth Tower on János-hegy -> Szépjuhászné -> Nagy-hárs-hegy -> Kis-hárs-hegy -> Nagyrét -> Fazekas-hegy -> Hűvösvölgy. That can give you a hint how to string sights together.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kaán Károly kilátó and Makovecz Imre kilátó

Thanks for both of these replies. This information is brilliant.

Sóstó Zoo looks good, but it seems it is just over 3 and a half hours by train each way, which may be too much travelling for one day. However, I'm going to note it down as a possibility if we are able to schedule a few days in that part of the country.

9. Re: Kaán Károly kilátó and Makovecz Imre kilátó

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:16