We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet access in Budapest

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Haifa, Israel
14 posts
Save Topic
Internet access in Budapest

Hello,

I'm new to the forum.

I'm travelling to Hungary , and will visit Budapest

is there a way to buy a sim for my iphone that gives me access to internet with good price ?

and convenient way , (without writing papers and waiting)

Thank you

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
793 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet access in Budapest

Here you can find info about it:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274887-i263-k7664…

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet access in Budapest

You can only buy a sim for the phone if you have a removable sim card on the side of the phone. If you bought your phone from a cell provider like Verizon that removable sim does not exist. Only phones bought directly from an Apple Store or from Apple have the removable sim card.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet access in Budapest

Hello w0nderh0w,

Yes - you can purchase a range of prepaid packages from the primary carriers here (Vodafone, Telenor and T-Mobile). The question is if your iPhone is unlocked and can use a SIM from carriers other than the one you purchased it from. There are good and bad ways to have your iPhone unlocked and risks with the former. The first step in your puzzle is to understand if your iPhone is unlocked. If yes, then you can purchase a pre-paid SIM that best fits your needs. All the carriers have local shops that can give you options.

Hi All - and Greyhound specifically,

Verizon Wireless is one of a very small number of carriers that still sell handsets without SIM cards - due to their legacy CDMA network environment. Most every European, and 95%ish of carriers worldwide are GSM-based, which specifically calls for a SIM-driven handset.

But note, that iPhones purchased from Verizon do have a removable SIM card. "Removing" SIM cards in iPhones and most top shelf smartphones is no longer an issue. The question is if the handset is "unlocked" meaning will it work with SIM cards from different mobile carriers. With most carriers, although there are some country-based exceptions, handsets are sold locked - and they can only be unlocked once the post-paid subscription is completed. This is all high-level info, and there are exceptions depending upon country and carrier policy.

Best,

Jeremy

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet access in Budapest

Hey Jeremy, so how come my iphone 5 does not have a removable sim card. My gf bought the same phone from Verizon a year later and there is no slot for changing the sum card? Everyone I know here in the states with a Verizon bought Iphone are just like mine.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet access in Budapest

greyhound has an iPhone 5, which is the only model in recent years that Verizon sold and that Apple manufactured that didn't have a SIM slot ... the earlier and later iPhones, including both current models marketed by Verizon, have SIM slots and the SIM slot appears to be unlocked.

T-Mobile offers an iPhone with a SIM slot (their service uses a SIM card), and will unlock it for foreign travel with enough notice; on the other hand, T-mobile's foreign roaming rates are so good that there's no reason to unlock it or get a data sim card (data, text, and incoming calls are free; dagga admittedly at 3G speeds; outbound international calling is $.20/minute).

ATT offers a locked SIM and won't unlock it until your contract if over or you have paid the termination fee.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Internet access in Budapest

John, I buy a value plan from Verizon for phone calls. It lowers call cost to 99 cents a minute. But apparently the standard cost has been lowered to 1.29 a min. So it may not pay. We only use the phones in Budapest for emergencies such as the situation we recently had. I turn off cell data and use wifi when in a place that offers for free or in the apartment. But I also have my Ipad in the apartment. So frankly being able to change out a sim card and buy a plan in Budapest has not yet been an issue.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Internet access in Budapest

For those in the USA who do a fair amount of traveling, the T-Mobile international plan is really pretty incredible. I keep my NYC phone number in Hungary; incoming calls are free to me; text messages are free, data is free, email is free, and calling the USA is $.20/minute. Data speed is not fast enough to satisfy people who stream constantly but it's been comfortable for me. It's a good enough deal that I just dropped my Hungarian data plan and now only keep a local mobile there for the occasional local call and to save my Hungarian friends the cost of dialing a US call to reach me.

A pre-pay data SIM for my iPad is pretty cheap for a short stay as well. But I'm a data junkie.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,695 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Internet access in Budapest

I posted this on the wrong thread before...

The policies are very strange stateside...

verizonwireless.com/aboutus/commitment/safet…

while Verizon does unlock their phones, I believe their CDMA technology allows them to prevent it from being transferred to other US carriers while still allowing them to be used in Europe in unlocked mode. You may want to call them up to make sure your phone is unlocked...my wife had to have her 4S unlocked a while back while my Motorola Razr was unlocked from the start. #whyIstickwithAndroid

Also, my iPhone 5 from Verizon does have a sim slot...not saying greyhound is wrong, but it seems there are different offerings.

While Verizon is inconsistent, AT&T are consistent a-holes when i comes to unlocking...it's not allowed until you're contract is up.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Internet access in Budapest

I dont have a problem having the IPhone 5 that I have. But next time I am near Verizon I am going to ask about the phone with the slot and report back here.

10. Re: Internet access in Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 05:16