We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from the station?

Oxford
Level Contributor
185 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi from the station?

Four of us will be arriving (with luggage) at the Nyugati pu railway station at 19:40 on a Friday evening - train from Prague. Any suggestion on the best way to get to the Hilton - Castle District? Don't much fancy the metro/tram etc. after 7 hours in a train but the guide books suggest you can be ripped off picking up a taxi from the station?

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from the station?

Hi there

this company can help you organise a transfer from the station direct to your hotel for around 14 euros, this is their website, http://www.budapesthotelsearch.com/

if you go to the transfer button on the right hand side you find all the info. I'm currently using them for accommodation and they've been really quick to respond and their site seems secure.

Hope this helps

UK
Level Contributor
475 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from the station?

Hi

You're quite right to be wary of taxis - they are notorious for ripping people off and are largely operated by the mafia (especially airport pickups). Here's a list of reputable taxi firms - I would suggest on arrival at Nyugati pu you call one of them. To give an idea of costs, we got a taxi from our Hotel, the NH which is a five minute walk to Nyugati station to Fisherman's Bastion, which is just next to the Hilton and it cost us about 2,500 HUF's:-

Fotaxi

222-2222

Buda Taxis

233-3333

City Taxis

211-1111

Radio Taxis

377-7777

I would definitely not attempt the public transport with cases as they were always packed to the hilt!

Have a good trip! You're staying a a beautiful area by the way, the Castle District is lovely.

Malvern, UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from the station?

Just got back from Budapest and the Hilton looked lovely - check out the doorman's hat!

Oxford
Level Contributor
185 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from the station?

Thanks everyone! One other possibility I came across on a web site was the "Rail Bus" - similar to the Airport Bus - going to all of the hotels. Anyone got experience of this?

In the end I will probably book a taxi from one of the places mentioned but I'd be interested to know about the bus. We're not travelling until the summer :-( so we have a long time to make up our minds.

ps We'll look out for the doorman at the Hilton!!!

Budapest
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from the station?

Don't forget the obvious - have you checked with the hotel about transportation? Do they have pick-up service for their guests? With a major chain like the Hilton I would inquire, it seems to me I've had clients stay with them and that is how it was solved.

If you use a taxi locally - CALL one rather than waive one on the street, and NEVER get into a taxi that is not one of the major chains someone listed. City Taxi is who we use at Budapest Resources. If you have other questions - look on the website. www.budapestresources.com

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from the station?

We stayed at the Hilton last September, but arrived at the airport and the Hilton offers a free transfer to the hotel. Give them a call or email them and I'm sure they will help you. Have a great time, it really is a fantastic hotel.

east sussex
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from the station?

I am thinking of going to Budapest in April for my husbands

40th, what the Hilton like, is it central. If not any suggestions?

Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi from the station?

We are going next month (4 adults w/ 4 bags), how did it work last year, we are also staying at the Hilton, would you do anything different. Where did you buy your ticket Prague or U.S. any price difference.

Thank you

Budapest
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi from the station?

Hello Lily: While the Hilton IS a nice hotel with a good view - my recommendation for a romantic and sensuous getaway would be different and quite possibly less expensive and far more lavish and on the nose.

The Margaret Island - in the middle of the Danube - boasts two great hotels and a world class spa and gym. They offer packages that work out to less than other hotels in town. When you step out, you are not in traffic noise, but a park - yet only steps from the entrance is a bus stop that will bring you into town for $1.

There are SIX indoor pools of various temperatures, saunas, steam rooms, a miriad of treatments available. The use of the spa alone is $30/day if you come in from the street - and I do treat myself!

I've corporate rates with them if you'd like - let me know when in April, etc.

Getting into town - can be arranged by taxi $30 one way for the car, or Airport minibus round trip $20/person.

M_Didius - the Airport minibus will make pick-ups from the train station as well or arrange for a taxi. Quite right, DO NOT hail a taxi on the spot.

With any help in or around town - please feel free to contact me:

BYP@BudapestResources.com

Oxford
Level Contributor
185 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi from the station?

Jam707,

Just seen your post. This might be all too late but here goes.

We were met by a taxi arranged through the Hilton - they did not do a free shuttle from the station. Worked out fine with the driver waiting for us at the end of the platform when we got of fthe train. One thing to note was that the taxi arranged by the Hilton was about 20% more than one booked over the internet - see moooseloose's post above.

Are you asking about the train journey from Prague? Again it may be too late but it is definitely cheaper to buy in Prague rather than online. Search the Prague forum for more details. Our experience with buying tickets is in the thread at tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274707-i96-k22486…

The train was ok but it is a long journey - absolutely essential to have seats booked with four of you together. Probably worth carrying food and especially drink with you to save buying on the train which, when we travelled, was packed with people jamming the corridors.

Hope this helps and have a great holiday!