We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Thermal bath in eger, photo taking

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Any Thermal bath in eger, photo taking

Do any experts know there is thermal bath in eger?

Any details?

Despite wine tasting, could you share your wonderful experience in eger?

Is it good to take photo about nature there?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Thermal bath in eger, photo taking

From your other posts, it seems you want the following:

A quiet, small place, that is not clogged with tourists, a traditional feel, a spa, good wine selection and beautiful nature views for taking photos.

While I won't say don't goto Eger, I would suggest you STAY in Egerszolok, which has all these things.

It has the largest spa in central Europe:

www.egerszalokfurdo.hu/index.php…

It is just over the hill from Eger and makes a great place to explore all the things you want. One day could be spent looking at the castle, cathedral, etc. in Eger combined with a trip to the "Valley of Beautiful Women" for wine tasting. However, you are going to find good wines virtually everywhere in that region, including even the most humble restaurant in Egerszolok. Wines won't be a problem.

There are easy to climb hills all around where you can get great nature photos and, sometimes, birds and wildlife. There are many small, very homey B&B's as well as hotels there and you can take a morning walk down to the center of town from most of them.

For a little more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egerszal%C3%B3k

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Thermal bath in eger, photo taking

Thanks god!

You help me!

Egerszolok is all I want! All I have do is in Egerszolok!

Calm with beautiful nature views for enjoying wine!

I find that Egerszolok is over hill of eger. Actually, is there direct transportation from Budapest ? I will ignore holloko!

You tell that there are many small B&bs, hostel from centre of town, are you talking the town = Egerszolok?

Is it possible to take Egerszolok as main base? I will spend half day to walk across the hill to reach eger or valley of woman,right?

I bring my harmonica to play in Egerszolok!

Anyway, thanks for your share!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Thermal bath in eger, photo taking

From the previous post you see Egerszolok , or locally "Szolok" is only 8 km from Eger. There are buses that run all over the region, including all the places you want to see. Yes, the B&B's are right there. So you can take the local buses that run all day long to go anywhere. We spent 3 very relaxing days and nights there and visited all the things you are interested in. It is a

relatively cheaper than Eger as well.

Hungary
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Thermal bath in eger, photo taking

Hi,

If you choose Egerszalók, I recommend you the following winery:

http://www.koharipince.hu/index.php?lang=en

A few km-s away from Egerszalók there is another Thermal Bath in Demjén. That's cheaper and open till 2 pm. Night swimming is good fun.

http://www.demjengyogytermal.hu/

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Thermal bath in eger, photo taking

We visited the Korhari Pince and had a good time. You can see in the pictures they are set up to do a "Bogracs" which is kind of like a Hungarian BBQ, but with a huge iron pot over a blazing fire. After several hours of adding ingredients the rich, thick stew is ready to eat. Everybody has their own recipe, much like Americans argue over how to cook a steak or BBQ ribs. We didn't eat there, but rather had a bogracs at our B&B and ate it in their personal wine celler. My cousin could not resist going out to check every time they added an ingredient to the bogracs! When you find a few B&B's you like, ask them if they will do a bogracs for you. It is something you should not miss.

The prices of the two spas are really not that much different and the one in Szolnok is huge and virtually brand new. Also, your times at the spa in Demjen will be limited by the times the buses run. Lastly, I think there are many more eating and drinking opportunities in Szolnok after you are done with your soak. You probably will not want to have to jump on the bus to ride back to Szolnok to eat and drink after relaxing in the spa.

Bukkszek, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Eger
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Thermal bath in eger, photo taking

Not wanting to be pedantic but "Szolnok" as you keep referring to is a heck of a long way from Demjen.

Egerszalok on the other hand is just down the road.

Bukkszek, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Eger
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Thermal bath in eger, photo taking

Whilst Egerszaalok is a large and varied thermal spa it is also rather more expensive than Demjen. Both can can get very busy and over-crowded during the summer.

If staying in Egerszalok then although the village is quite nice there's not a great deal else to do other than go to the spa (which is outside the village) or eat in a resturant.

In my opinion it would be much better to stay in Eger and take a bus, taxi or tourist train out to either Demjen (my personal favourite) or Egerszalok, returning later in the day.

There is also the large outdoor pool complex with thermal spa and Turkish bath in Eger itself. Even at its busiest there's enough space and different pools for it not to feel anywhere near as crowded as either Demjen or Szalok. And from here everything is within easy waalking distance...unlike the other 2.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Thermal bath in eger, photo taking

thanks all

First, I would like to make it clear that:

Szolok=Egerszalok= Szolnok, right?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Thermal bath in eger, photo taking

88: I'm not perfect. Some times I get sloppy with the names. I am talking about Egerszolok, which many people will shorten to Szolok locally. It is just like in the "Nyir" region they will drop that off Nyirbator to become Bator or Nyireghaza becomes "Haza", or the Tisza region the Tisza will be dropped off the names of local towns. Don't be mistaken, I am talking about Egerszolok, just over the hill from Eger, not the town of Szolnok which is different.

Regarding where to stay...I have stayed in Eger many times, and in Egerszolok only once. As I said before, I am not saying don't visit Eger, but for what you personally asked for I think Egerszolok is better. I found it to be one of the most relaxing places I have stayed in all of Hungary, and another important thing is the I found it very easy to talk to the people and make friends right away.

There are many great places to stay in Hungary, but they are not all places where the people are easy to get to know, or to just relax. Many places, and I have to say Eger is one of them, I always feels as if I need to be "doing something" as opposed to just sitting out in the yard at the picnic table or laying on a lounge chair relaxing. Egerszolok is one of the most relaxing places I have ever been.

I think I can really relate to what you are seeking. If I went to

China, I would not want to spend all my time in Hong Kong or Beijing. I really have a desire to spend at least a day or two in a village where my chicken dinner was walking around the backyard that morning. I sense the same desire in you.

Does this help?

Edited: 10 May 2012, 20:14
Bukkszek, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Eger
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Thermal bath in eger, photo taking

Szalók= Egerszalók....NOT Szolnok

And I maintain there's a big difference between the entrance fees to Egerszalók and Demjen (more than twice the price)...unless you visit the old quarter of the thermal spa at Egerszalók where the locals go but all there is to do is literally sit in a very small pool with lots of older, oversized Hungarians.

I'll be going to Demjen myself this weekend (weather dependant). It's a great place to visit out of season, late at night. We've been in February when it was -7*c, snow gently falling and it was a really nice experience as it's all outdoors but the water is around 35*c.