We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional food in Eger or nearby

Forges
Level Contributor
11 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Traditional food in Eger or nearby

My brother and I will probably be visiting Eger towards the end of September. What we'd love to find would be some really good old fashioned home style cooking. Without a twist.

Valley of the Beautiful Women
Caverns & Caves, Wineries & Vineyards
Dobo Square
Points of Interest & Landmarks
The Basilica
Sacred & Religious Sites
Bukkszek, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Eger
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional food in Eger or nearby

How will you be travelling? If you have a car then I can recommend 2 small bufes next door to each other outside the ZF factory on the Maklar road. Very simple traditional Hungarian food, always busy and sensible prices.

Forges
Level Contributor
11 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traditional food in Eger or nearby

Hi Paul,

I have to say I hoped you'd hop in on this. And yes, we'll be driving up/down from Budapest. So that soulds perfect. As you know, compared with France (where I live) and London, prices anywhere are more than reasonable, so that's less of an issue than good old home style cooking.

So that's brilliant. Thanks.

Bukkszek, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Eger
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traditional food in Eger or nearby

I deliberated for some time before replying and considered which resteraunt might suit you best but, to be honest, if you want traditional homestyle cooking without any frills then the little bufes will serve you best. There are MANY resteraunts in town which serve Hungarian food but most serve it with a tourist twist. If you want to eat as the locals do at home then follow my suggestion.

Forges
Level Contributor
11 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traditional food in Eger or nearby

Paul, you said:-

"I deliberated for some time before replying"

And I'm really delighted you did. Thanks very much. I've had a look on my GPS and have seen the road you mean, the 25, I think. Is the factory before or after Kölyuk Ut if coming from town?

And while I write. Is the railway line heavily used at night? We're looking at a B&B right beside it.

5. Re: Traditional food in Eger or nearby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2016, 18:15