We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car in Eger

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car in Eger

I will be making a trip to Eger next year and would like to rent a car for day trips. Are there any companies that rent cars in Eger? Alternatively I can rent a car in Budapest and drive to Eger. The benefit of renting from Eger is that I can rent a smaller car since I won't need room for my luggage. Any help is appreciated.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,539 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car in Eger

Paul will answer definitively, but I am not sure you can hire a car in Eger: in any case, rent a car in Bpest , that way you can take a detour on the way, loads of nice places to see, particularly north of the motorway.

Just how much luggage will you have ? something like a VW Golf - not a particularly large car - will have space for two large suitcases in the boot. Get a diesel if you can, much more efficient (I get 60mpg from my Golf), petrol is WAAAAYY more expensive in Europe.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,539 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car in Eger

Some tips re: driving in Hungary

you must carry the vehicle's documents with you at all times - this includes your driving license: the hire company should give you all of the documents in a folder (I use Fox)

when using motorways (roads numbered Mx) you need a matrica aka vignette, kind of toll/ tax payment. The hire car may come with it pre-paid, but check: if it doesn't, buy one at a petrol station BEFORE you go on to the motorway.

when entering a settlement the city/town/ village sign also acts as a speed limit sign, limit is normally 50kmh (about 30mph): the limit is not always shown.

when driving outside of a settlement, headlights must be on at all times (stupid rule, no idea why they insist on it)

Hungarians may not, but I suggest you stick to the speed limits, including on motorways

Finally, the Hungarian drink/ drive limit is ZERO - and they mean it.

Bukkszek, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Eger
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car in Eger

We helped some of our guests to hire a car a couple of years ago but had to do quite a bit of leg work to arrange it. It was more like a private rental via the local VW dealer.

There is a Hertz franchise based at the Hotel Flora: www.superior.hu/kolcsonzes/index.htm?arak.htm

And also this guy: www.superior.hu/kolcsonzes/index.htm?arak.htm

Personally, like Roman Citizen suggested, I'd be inclined to hire in Budapest and take the scenic route over Kekes Teto. It will give you more flexibility and may even be cheaper.

4. Re: Rental car in Eger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2013, 10:15