We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Keszthely/Lake Balaton the first of June.

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
40 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Keszthely/Lake Balaton the first of June.

I am wondering what type of weather I would expect that time of the year and whether it would be smart to drive or take the train to Budapest for a day trip. Any advise would be helpful.

Festetics Palace
Architectural Buildings, Castles, Historic Sites
Helikon Castle Museum
Castles, History Museums
Balaton Museum
Speciality Museums, Art Museums
Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Keszthely/Lake Balaton the first of June.

While I can't guarantee the weather, it is generally a very pleasant time of the year with warmth and sunshine. And prices are slightly lower than at peak season (late July & August) too.

It is going to be much cheaper to take the train because a 1 day car rental plus fuel and road toll vignette will quickly take you up to around 100 Euro. You can get to Siofok in 2 hours by train, but Keszthely is over 3 hours. You can check the timetables at http://elvira.mav-start.hu.

BUT, a car will get you there quicker and give you more flexibility to see more of the lake and surrounding areas.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Keszthely/Lake Balaton the first of June.

Yes, Mutiny is right, the weather is pleasant time of the year with warmth and sunshine, 20-30 Celsius. We were there last year (Tihany) it was raining every afternoon for 10 minutes, but it`s not usual.

Don`t miss to visit the Festetics Palace in Keszthely, This is the fourth largest - with a stunning 101 rooms - and also the most beautifully refurbished and furnished palace in Hungary.

There is a little sightseeing train as well, starts from the Palace.

You can check this website: www.hungarystartshere.com

That is much more comfortable to go to Budapest by car, BUT don`t forget the parking fee (between 160-640 HUF/hours) , and it`s not easy to find a parking place. I would recommend the Sightseeing bus in Budapest, www.cityrama.hu/english or www.budapestinfo.hu/english.

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
40 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Keszthely/Lake Balaton the first of June.

We are going to be in Keszthely for a week and then off the mountians of Austria so we have a car. I would assume that there will be some park and ride area around Budapest ? Thanks for the help.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Keszthely/Lake Balaton the first of June.

I believe that there is no Park and Ride as yet in all of Hungary let alone in Budapest. The concept of Parking and Shopping is exclusively West-European / American. Check out this website: www.budapestinfo.hu, change the language.

5. Re: Going to Keszthely/Lake Balaton the first of June.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Keszthely