We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable accomodations in the high Tatras

canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonable accomodations in the high Tatras

Hello!

I am looking for a reasonable place to stay, at the beginning of July for 5 adults...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! I am looking for something reasonable, but nice at the same time! I know!

Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable accomodations in the high Tatras

Check out this page:

…travelslovakia.sk/high-tatras-hotels.php

There are a lot of suggestions with descriptions. You can find some you like and then read the reviews on trip advisor. Avoid Hotel Patria. We were very disappointed in our stay there.

canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable accomodations in the high Tatras

Hi thanks for your post...I have checked out that web-site..it is very good.

I was hoping to get some reccomendations of places that people have been to, and would visit again, or suggest to a friend!

Thanks again!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable accomodations in the high Tatras

Good B & B I stayed in once is Strachan. It is small (about 9 rooms?)

We had a Half-board special rates; excellent food.

http://www.penzionstrachan.sk/en/rooms

canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonable accomodations in the high Tatras

Thanks Sophie..I will check it out!..Leaving in 2 weeks...so I will post where I stay, and a review!

Kosice, Slovakia
Level Contributor
283 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable accomodations in the high Tatras

Friends of mine stayed in Villa Dr Szontag a couple of years ago and loved it. They found it to be a very friendly, good quality, family run pension.

http://www.szontagh.eu/eng/

Interestingly, they still quote their prices in Slovak Crowns as well as Euros for some reason.

canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonable accomodations in the high Tatras

Thanks Herb..sounds good..I will check it out......I appreciate all of the advice given, and am looking forward to my trip!

I will update, on my return!

thanks,

and,

Happy wandering!

Indy
Level Contributor
146 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonable accomodations in the high Tatras

We stayed at Villa Dr. Szontag in 2008. The staff was friendly and accomodating and spoke some english. The rooms are basic sort of dorm room type couch and chairs, but the view from our balcony was very nice and the bed was comfortable. Very convenient location in Smokovec. I forget the price, but it was reasonable. The lobby and game room was nice and I believe that they had free wifi.

canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonable accomodations in the high Tatras

Thanks Growler,

that is the second recommendation I have had for Villa Szontag....I will check it out!

I appreciate the time that you have taken to respond to my post!

Cheers! and Nazrdavi!

canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonable accomodations in the high Tatras

Hello travellers!

I just returned from a tour of the Czech Republic, and Slovakia...Thanks for all of your suggestions!

I ended up staying in Stara Lesna at a Penzion..Villa Barbora....it was amazing..a small place with a few apartments...not fancy....but the hosts are amazing, helpfull, and incredibly gracious. We stayed in the big apartment ( easily sleeps 5) for 50 Euros per night....A real deal! We had a small balcony with an amazing view of the high Tatras!

The only recommendation I have, is that most of the towns are much closer together than I thought....you can stay at any one of them, and easily do day trips to all of the major sights. Stara Lomince was a short 2 km drive! We were lucky enough to take the gondola to the very top of the mountain...I didn't expect it to be as amazing as it was ( although pricey..about $50 Canadian for the gondola trip to the top!)

The other note I have....don't expect any great meals.....at cheap restaurants ( which was our budget)...the food was okay...but nothing great ( other than Haluski).

I can't say how the food is at the more expensive restaurants..as I didn't visit any!

That being said....thanks to all of the members who replied to my questions!

It is much appreciated!

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Reasonable accomodations in the high Tatras

Thanks for coming back and posting a report - glad you enjoyed Slovakia :)

Was the food really that bad? I love Slovak food, even in cheap places. I never expect anything 'refined', but you can't go wrong with pork and some potatoes! What did you have, and why was it so bad?