We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Presov and Tulcik

Cave Creek, Arizona
3 posts
Save Topic
Presov and Tulcik

What can we expect to see and do in Presov and Tulcik? We plan to stay in Presov for two days, rent a car and drive to Tulcik in search of an ancestral home. Is this a reasonable expectation? Should we hire an interpreter and/or driver? Would our hotel be able to arrange for this? What would you suggest we do? Any recommended hotels and restaurants? What is the distance between these two places? Are the roads easily managed?

Ohio
Level Contributor
247 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Presov and Tulcik

I think the answer about hiring a driver / translator / interpreter really depend on your fluency in Slovak. We did an ancestral trip in 2009 and were able to meet up with many distant relatives. I used a Slovak travel agency (http://www.travelslovakia.sk/) and were very glad to have our driver / translator. We found that in the western part of the country, many people spoke English. However, the farther east we went, the less people spoke English. When we met our relatives, hardly any of them spoke English, so our translator was invaluable. We had a wonderful day with them.

She also did all of our driving, which was nice. If you decide to rent a car, make sure that it has all the proper permits to travel on the highways / freeways. The police were very vigilant in ticketing drivers without them.

As far as what to see, get a good guidebook. The Bradt series actually has a book just dedicated to Slovakia - not shared with the Czech Republic. This is what I used for my trip and it had a lot of great info in it.

You'll have a wonderful trip.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Presov and Tulcik

Hi,

you can find this forum interesting:

tripadvisor.com/…25977401

Poprad
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Presov and Tulcik

Although Presov is a town with nice old center you can consider as your base also Kosice - 30 km / 18 miles far from Presov. Kosice is the second biggest town in Slovakia, it has a railway as well as airline connection. And what´s most important for traveler - Kosice has beautiful historical center and was declared "The European town of culture 2013".

Tulcik is a small village with 1.300 population. It is located on the main road heading north from Kosice/Presov. The distance from Presov to Tulcik is 16 km / 10 miles, Kosice - Tulcik is 50 km / 30 miles.

Some pictures of the village - http://www.tulcik.sk/index.php?page_id=3&id=1

I agree, that local interpreter would be very helpful. Not sure how hotels can be helpful in this. I don´t recommend to relay on local taxi drivers - they usually don´t speak English and you can meet one of those "fast and furious".

Apart of Presov, Kosice and Tulcik, there are many interesting spots in Eastern Slovakia - some of them even listed in UNESCO World heritage - I wrote more about it in this forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274922-i1155-k521…

4. Re: Presov and Tulcik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 20:43