We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Winter

Naxxar, Malta
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Winter

Me and the wife are planning a winter vacation in Poland and Slovakia in February. Ideally we would need to to hire a car to be able to travel around in comfort and liberty but how are driving conditions in these two countries during February? We live in Malta where it has never snowed and while I have driven abroad in the past, it was never in winter and never in snowy conditions. Assuming Ill get a small hatchback with winter tyres, how difficult/dangerous it is to embark on 100km+ motorway journeys? And what about the country lanes?

Any reply would be appreciated - and please reply soon :)

thanks!

Mark

Poprad
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Winter

Hi Mark,

basically what you need for driving in winter conditions - driving slower, braking gently, keep the distance from car in front of you - and you will be fine.

Roads are regularly maintained, they use salt or gravel and sand on icy roads (some pictures here -

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/… )

Of course if you hit the snow storm, it could be different, but the main roads are usually drivable.

Edited: 21 December 2013, 07:55
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
666 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Winter

Agree with ondrej that the best practice is drive gently if you are not accustomed to it. You need to make sure about car rentals provide necessary equipment without hidden fees. Winter tyre is mandatory but some companies try to impose extra. I would stick to big names for assurance just in case.

Major roads are well maintained but you need to pay extra care to small ones especially in mountains.

Naxxar, Malta
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Winter

Thanks a lot guys for your replies.

Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Winter

Hallo,

I' m living in Poland and I can tell you. that :

road in Poland are very poor , not only in winter, all year around.

Higway only between few big city and majority of the road are small and not well maintained.

Driving is dangerous during raining or snowing and in the darkness.

A little bit better in Slovakia where you can move from east to west. by modern highway, the normal road are. quite well maintained, during snow falls road are cleaned continuously.

Winter tire are " compulsory "

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
666 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Winter

There is hardly any snow at this moment. However, thick fogs have been appearing so you need to drive carefully.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Winter

Headlights must be on at all times in both countries!

7. Re: Driving in Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 06:18