We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for hiking suggestions (early October, with kids)

Mazkeret Batya
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for hiking suggestions (early October, with kids)

Hi,

We're planning to visit Slovakia in the first half of October, and are looking for some nice hiking options which are:

- up to about half a day long (possibly shorter)

- suitable for the weather in October

- suitable for kids (ages 7-10); they're good hikers and can easily walk for 5 hours or so, but still, kids

- do not involve any challenging/dangerous parts

We'll be renting a car, so any suggestions anywhere in Slovakia would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for hiking suggestions (early October, with kids)

Phew! What a question. There are 1000s of paths in Slovakia, it's really hard to suggest just one.

Do you want to do anything else? Do you want to be by a big city, or have access to castles/attractions?

Hight Tatras are always recommended

take a look at hiking.sk website

Mazkeret Batya
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for hiking suggestions (early October, with kids)

Yes, I know my question was a bit too broad... but I look at all the information on the web about these 1000s of paths and have no idea where to start, so I was hoping for some 1st-person suggestions.

(by the way, is hiking.sk only in Slovak, or am I missing something? looks amazing though...)

Regarding the high Tatras: are they considered safe in October (in terms of weather)?

Other than the high Tatras, if you had 2 days to spend hiking in one other region, which region/park would you choose? (again, for a family with kids, looking for moderate half-day hikes)

In general, we thought of starting in Bratislava, then spend a week in central Slovakia (how far east we'll go is still open). We'd probably want to have a mix of nature hikes and small towns/villages/castles; but we're not really interested in big cities during this week.

Edited: 01 September 2014, 18:20
Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
864 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for hiking suggestions (early October, with kids)

Regarding High Tatras: In general, October is still part of the main season, all trails are open till the end of October and weather, although colder, can be even more stable than during summer. There are many trails to select from, and you can always select less demanding valley routes if the weather becomes less ideal. Example of a nice and safe route: From Stary Smokovec to Hrebienok by funicular, then walk to mountain hut Zamkovskeho chata, then Teryho chata (and back).That's approx 2.5 hour each direction.

Mazkeret Batya
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for hiking suggestions (early October, with kids)

Thanks yale999, your suggestion sounds like the kind of thing I'm looking for, and having actual names of specific places really helps a lot in planning.

How about the Slovensky Raj park- can someone recommend a path there that isn't too dangerous/difficult with kids?

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for hiking suggestions (early October, with kids)

Not sure about Slovensky Raj, as many paths have ladders and chains, and the ones which don't are pretty uninspiring.

I was thinking you could take a look at the most beautiful place in Slovakia - Banska Stiavnica. There is a nice (but rather steep) walk up to Sitno (a good ruin), and loads to see in the area. Hiking.sk (sadly only in Slovak) shows all the paths

Mazkeret Batya
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for hiking suggestions (early October, with kids)

Thanks for the tip(s). Banska Stiavnica was already on my list of places to visit, but I didn't think of walks in that area- I'll check it out.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for hiking suggestions (early October, with kids)

For a simple hike with at least one spectacular view in Slovenskz Raj I will recommend looking at Tomasovsky vyhlad. You can search for photographs to show you what to expect.

Start at Cingov near Spisska Nova Ves, and follow the gradually climbing trail to Tomasovsky vylad. Maps call it a 45 minute hike. There were plenty of kids on there last year, having a great time. From there you can choose the longer walk to an old monastery at Klastorisko. There is a map at

http: //www. slovenskyraj.sk/strediska/…tomvyhlad. html take out the three spaces I put in the url and it should take you to the map and writeup.

You can go to google.translate. sk and choose slovencina for the first box (language) and anglicina for the second, then put the URL into the first box and click on prelozit. The page will be translated well enough to give a good general idea of what they say.

Once you get to Tomasovsky vyhlad you can chose your next route according to circumstances. Return the same way, descend to Biely potok to return along the creek, or through Letanovsky mlyn (mill) or Klastorisko if you have time and energy.

I am not sure what you will find along Biely potok, it is possible you will have a section of "fire escape" grating to walk over, with steel chain for a hand rail. If the kids are sensible, it can be great fun. Don't worry about the tall ladders to climb, the park has all of those areas as one-way only, always ascending the gorges for safety, and there should be none around this area of the park.

Mazkeret Batya
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for hiking suggestions (early October, with kids)

Since_71: Thanks for the detailed tip, this looks like a very good option!

Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for hiking suggestions (early October, with kids)

You could visit Bojnice region - historical city centre in Bojnice, ZOO, beautifull! castle built on the cave, spa with hot mineral water, guided expeditions into a still operating coal mine, little airport with sightseeing flights, very nice countryside with easy walking tourist / bike paths, close to Banska Stiavnica... Ideal for vacation with kids

Mazkeret Batya
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for hiking suggestions (early October, with kids)

Matej B: We're already planning to visit Bojnice castle, but now your post makes me wonder whether we should make more time for Bojnice itself at the expense of something else.

My question- short version: if we have time for only one, which town would you recommend- Bojnice or Trenčín?

Long version: here's our current plan; we could replace Trenčín with Bojnice (town/area), or any other ideas?

- Day 1: (morning) Vienna airport ==> Bratislava (night: Bratislava)

- Day 2: rent a car ==> Trenčín (skip the castle) ==> Bojnice castle ==> Čičmany (night: Čičmany area)

- Day 3: ==> Martin (village museum) ==> Oravsky Podzamok ==> Poprad (4 nights in Poprad area)

- Day 4: High Tatras

- Day 5: High Tatras

- Day 6: Spiš castle, Levoca, Kezmarok

- Day 7: Slovensky Raj ==> Banská Štiavnica (2 nights in Banská Štiavnica area)

- Day 8: Banská Štiavnica and around

- Day 9: Back to Bratislava

By the way, we're not looking for special attractions for kids; we're lucky to have kids that would very much enjoy a good hike or a nice town/village. I mentioned the kids just to make sure we won't go to places that are too dangerous or physically challenging for them.

Thanks!!!