We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devin Castle on a Monday and travel time

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
Save Topic
Devin Castle on a Monday and travel time

Hi,

I will be in Bratislava in July and want to go out to Devin Castle. I have been reading that the ruins are closed on Mondays, but when I checked out the website it looks like they will be open on Mondays between May-September? Did I misunderstand the website or does anyone know if this is true?

How long does it take to get out there by bus? If I took an early bus out there and explored all morning would it be feasible to be back in Bratislava after lunchtime or does this excursion require a full day?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
Bratislava Region, Slovakia
Hotel Devin
Hotel Devin
732 Reviews
Bratislava, Slovakia
6 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Devin Castle on a Monday and travel time

We got the bus out and walked through the bearby forest for a coupleof hours which was very cool. If you wanted to get bus straight there and back, you could easily do it in half a day.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Devin Castle on a Monday and travel time

Most museums and galleries are closed on Mondays (not only in SK, but in much of Europe). It's quite hard to find an official website for the castle, but this one looks the best: …bratislava.sk/hrad-devin-narodna-kulturna-p…

As you can see, it is i fact closed on Mondays :(

Which website did you get your info from, just out of interest?

You have 2 options:

1. Go anyway. The whole area is special. Ruins can be seen from outside, the confluence of the rivers and the monuments to those who tried to flee to 'the West' are brilliant to see. You can go behind some abandoned buildings and end up in a disused amphitheater (I can give you directions). There are some nice bars in Devin. If you have a couple of hours and some sturdy trainers (no need for boots) then you can hike around the area (Sandberg prehistoric sea, past Devin, highest point of Bratislava - the views are just as good as from the castle). You can easily spend 4 or 5 hours, but the castle area and a walk aroud Devin can be done in 1 or 2.

2. Visit some other ruins. Pajstun is fantastic (the nearest town, Stupava, is good for a drink, plus there is a park and manor house). Or the ruins of Biely Kamen above Svaty Jur - very peaceful and the village is beautiful - church, vineyards, very close to the city centre.

Take a look on google and I can give you more specific info about transport or routes

p.s. bus from the city centre to Devin takes about 20 minutes. They go 3 or 4 times an hour.

Edited: 17 April 2017, 19:33
Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Hotel Devin
Hotel Devin
732 Reviews
Bratislava, Slovakia
Bratislava
Bratislava
Svaty Jur
Svaty Jur
Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Devin Castle on a Monday and travel time

Looks like on Monday all exhibition are closed but you can visit the castle (for 2 eur instead of 5). That it is according to the link you provided (in Slovak )

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Devin Castle on a Monday and travel time

I did end up going on a Monday and am glad I did. The grounds were still open to walk around. The only thing that is closed is the museum/exhibit in the castle.

I think because people might think it is all closed on Monday there were only about 10-15 of us out there and we had the castle and grounds all to ourselves.

The ruins are interesting and the views are spectacular. Plus they had re-introduced sheep, goats and donkies to the grazing areas which was cool.

I LOVED Bratislava and very much enjoyed the trip to Devín. I'm so glad I decided to stay a few days. Could have easily stayed a week. It's a fantastic city.

Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Devin Castle on a Monday and travel time

Wow! Thanks a lot for the quick and complete reply. I am now on a bus from Budapest to Bratislava with some heavy luggage and I was worried that I wouldn't make it to the castle. I'll go to my hotel and visit the castle tomorrow Monday instead.

Any recommendations for eating at Devin or Bratislava?

Have a GREAT day!

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Bratislava
Bratislava
Hotel Devin
Hotel Devin
732 Reviews
Bratislava, Slovakia
Bratislava, Slovakia
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Devin Castle on a Monday and travel time

Devin is a good place to spend time! Even Bratislava is not very big city there are a lot of places of interests to see. https://blog.hiber.digital

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Devin
Hotel Devin
732 Reviews
Bratislava, Slovakia
Bratislava
Bratislava
Reply to: Devin Castle on a Monday and travel time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted