We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bratislava - 2 or 3 days

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
70 reviews
Bratislava - 2 or 3 days

Hi, currently, my flight arrives into Vienna on a friday evening (summer), i then plan to take the bus to Bratislava that same day and overnight. right now i am trying to decide when to leave

PLAN A: Is it possible to do both castles in one day?

Saturday - Full day at Bratislava Old Town and etc.

Sunday - Devin Castle + Trencin Castle

PLAN B: Probably not the best plan since most shops are closed in Europe on Sunday...

Saturday - Devin Castle + Trencin Castle

Sunday - Full day at Bratislava Old Town and etc.

PLAN C: Is it too much to do on Saturday?

Saturday - Full day at Bratislava Old Town, Devin Castle and etc.

Sunday - Trencin Castle

There is a Wizz flight leaving Vienna for Gdansk on both Sunday and Monday night. I am trying to decide which day to book.

Which plan will work - A, B, or C? Or do i have to give up one of the castles? I know Trencin is about 1.5 hr away. I also read that it's undergoing reconstruction. https://spectator.sme.sk/c/20746001/trencin-… so is it worth going at all ? I understand sometimes they have festivals etc in summer, but probably cancelled now bc of the reconstruction?

7 replies to this topic
Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
74 reviews
1. Re: Bratislava - 2 or 3 days

I would advise against trying to squeeze Devin and Trencin into one day. While it's doable (at least in theory), you would get yourself into unnecessary rush. Take it slow and enjoy the trip rather than hurry from one place to another.

Plan C looks fine. Visit one castle each day, you should still get enough time for Bratislava Old Town during rest of those days (particularily on the day when you visit Devin castle - Devin is part of Bratislava, just 20 minutes from the city centre, so the whole trip should not exceed ~4 hours).

I don't know about restrictions at Trencin castle so I'll leave this part to others :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Bratislava - 2 or 3 days

Thank you !

Yes, i figured i will be in a rush if trying to squeeze 2 castles in one day.

Can someone confirm Trencin Castle will be open on Sunday? I believe so.

How big is the Old Town Bratislava - are we talking about all being entirely walkable, so 2 km radius?

Bratislava, Slovakia
2 posts
1 review
3. Re: Bratislava - 2 or 3 days

Hi Capybara,

Bratislava city center is small you can chill out there and later maybe take some option for nice panoramatic view in Castle, Slavin, Koliba or UFO.

Trencin castle is open on Sunday during summer season, but personally I wouldn't go to Trencin, I recommend you to spend much more time at Bojnice castle, it's probably one of the best castles in Slovakia, it's pretty close to trencin and it also has the best ZOO in SK. Also on the way to Trencin is Cerveny Kamen castle, definitely worth of visit. Rent a car and it's doable within one day.

But anyway, there are so many places where to go in Slovakia, it depends just on what are you looking for.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
70 reviews
4. Re: Bratislava - 2 or 3 days

wow, Bojnice castle is stunning, Thanks for your suggestion, will consider that! is it accessible by public transportation?

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
74 reviews
5. Re: Bratislava - 2 or 3 days

You can take regional train from Bratislava to Prievidza (ca. 3 hours) and change there for a bus to Bojnice. Alternatively you can also walk from Prievidza to Bojnice - castle is about 3 kilometers from Prievidza station, so it would take about 40 minutes (while Prievidza and Bojnice are different towns, there is a sidewalk for the whole route, including out-of-town section).

You can plan the journey at cp.sk.

Dungarvan, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: Bratislava - 2 or 3 days

how to get to eliseabeth old town from airport what bus would i tak and how near to hotel could i get

Dungarvan, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
7. Re: Bratislava - 2 or 3 days

how to get to eliseabeth old town from airport what bus would i tak and how near to hotel could i get

Reply to: Bratislava - 2 or 3 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bratislava