We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

similar to prague??

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
519 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
similar to prague??

thinking of going to bratislava in the winter but have been told its very similar to prague

dont get me wrong, loved prague been 3 times since 2005 but we were looking to try something different

is the nightlife and pubs similar to prague?

and culture?

Slovakia
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: similar to prague??

Let me answer this one as well :-)

No, Bratislava is not similar to Prague as it is still not that touristic. It means you wont have the feeling that everyone tries to rip you off (but still be careful especially with the taxi drivers and in lap dancing clubs).

Bratislava is much smaller than Prague and I find it different when it comes to terms of pubbing and clubbing: I would say that the environment and crowd is more friendly (although it varies from place to place). But most of the stag-do guys told me they liked it over here more than in Prague, so I just pass on what I was told.

Katka :-)

Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
Bratislava Region, Slovakia
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
519 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: similar to prague??

thank you very much katka!

if we do decide to come to bratislava we should buy you a drink for all your help!!!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
201 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: similar to prague??

Went to Prague for two nights and then took a train to Bratislava for one night. As Katka said, these two cities are not similar. Prague is known around the world to have a large Old Town which is incredibly beautiful, charming, and romantic. Prague has many more hotels, the vast majority of which are in centuries old buildings. Bratislava, on the other hand, is a smaller city with fewer hotels, which are mostly in 20th century style buildings (less charming). Bratislava is cheaper than Prague and not as touristy, but is certainly heading in that direction. In Prague, I paid the equivalent of $30 USD to see a six-piece string ensemble made up of younger musicians in the chapel within Prague Castle. In Bratislava, I saw the incredible Slovakian Philharmonic give a concert with their 150-piece orchestra for the equivalent of $8.50 USD. In all honesty, before I went to Bratislava, I thought it would be smaller with a larger Old Town area. However, upon arrival, the city seemed larger and more cosmopolitan, and the Old Town seemed smaller than initially envisioned. The walk from the main train station to Old Town is about a 30-minute brisk walk, however, Bratislava has a great tram and bus system like Prague. Four nighs in Bratislava may be a litte much compared to four nights in Prague.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Bratislava
Bratislava
Prague Castle
Prague Castle
27,818 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: similar to prague??

Nowadays, prices for most things are almost similar to those in Vienna, just 50 km away, at least for comparable quality. This is caused by an (over?)appreciated Slovak Crown, relatively high inflation and a tendency to see tourists as cash cows. However, in terms of service a lot of catch up needs to be done, especially in restaurants. And you cannot trust taxis.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: similar to prague??

Hi

Prices are nowhere near as expensive as Vienna, we went to both last September and there was a big difference.

Almost all the service we had in Bratislava was excellent, and we had some brilliant meals which cost next to nothing.

We are doing the same trip again this year and can't wait to get there again.

Jackie

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Bratislava
Bratislava
Sunderland
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: similar to prague??

Just got back on Monday night after being over there on a stag. I thought it was better than Prague and Budapest. Cheap enough.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
7. Re: similar to prague??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 02:16