We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Bus

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Bus

I believe it's #61 to the airport from the main station. How much is the ticket, can we pay on the bus, if not where do we buy tickets, how long does it take to get to the airport? We would need to be at the airport by 7pm on a Thursday evening. Would our train ticket from Vienna to Bratislava which includes a day pass on public transport be ok on the airport bus.

Thanks.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Bus

Hi - yes, its bus 61 from Hlavna Stanica (Main - train - Station)

I'm not familiar with the train / public transport combined ticket - I don't see why it wouldn't be valid as long as it is in date and you've followed the rules. So you will only be in Bratislava for one day? It might be cheaper just to buy a bus ticket for the journey to the airport - will you be using the buses a lot? You won't really need to unless you have something specific planned.

Buy a 70 cent ticket from the yellow machines (next to most bus stops - there are two at the station). Machines take coins only, but give change. Stamp your ticket when you get on - its then valid for 60 mins

The journey takes about 25 mins - maybe allow a little more for traffic. Buses are usually on time-ish. Make sure you have a bottle of water - they are HOT nowadays!

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Bus

Hi Alex. Yes we will be in Bratislava for one day only unfortunately, but plan to make the most of it. We hope to arrive early from Vienna, and spend the whole day just walking around and sightseeing before our flight home to Edinburgh.

Maybe take in a trip or so.

Yes it may be cheaper to just buy a 70 cent ticket to the airport. I was trying to find out the cost of the train journey...one-way from Vienna to Bratislava.

I have asked that question on the Vienna forum and should have a reply soon.

Thanks for the tip about the water!! And I will remember to stamp the ticket, I just read the op re consequences if one forgets to do this.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Bus

Is it an easy walk into the centre from the main station. It's been suggested that we take a tram or a bus, but just how far is it?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,014 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Bus

The ticket is valid on the airport bus - your ticket from Vienna will have a date on it aready so there is no need to validate it or anything like that. If it is not raining it is about 15 minutes on foot to reach Michalska brana - walk past the Presidential Palace on the way.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Bus

Thank you. I see there is a hotel called Michalska brana. Does Michalska brana mean St Michaels gate. If this is in the centre then we can walk. We are coming late July so I suppose the weather will be very hot.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Bus

Michalksa Brana is St Michaels gate - I presume the hotel is very near but I'm not certain. But the gate (more like a tower) marks the entrance to the 'Old Town... its very central. I would walk into town from the station, but 50 cents isn't going to break the bank if you fancy going 3 stops on the bus.

A one day tourist ticket costs 3.50 Euro. I have a feeling it costs 3 Euro when you buy it in conjunction with a train ticket from Vienna - you would need to make six '15 minute' trips to break even -its unlikely that you will .

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Bus

Alex, thank you. No one seems to know the cost of the One- Way ticket from Vienna to Bratislava, although it's been suggested that it's a bit more than 1/2 of the return fare. We can make a decision when buying the tickets. I would prefer to know in advance but it's fine.

Thanks again

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,014 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Bus

It costs more than the return - €15.80 - in any case not many people (if anybody) just buy a single on the train - if they want a single, they get the bus.

Whereas there is an option to buy a return ticket from Bratislava to Vienna without a pass (€11 euros) the option does not exist going the other way.

9. Re: Airport Bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2010, 06:15