We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days

yorkshire
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
7 Days

We ( 2 couple's ) will be staying in bratislava for 7 days at the Marrols Hotel using it as a base.

We will be visiting Vienna what is there to see and do for 4/5 hours ?

we will also be visiting Brno again what is there to see and do for 4/5 hours ?.

we also might try to get to Gyor in hungary if its easy enough to get to is that also worth a visit ?.

In and around Bratislava we will be going to Devin castle. Also we want to visit the wineries are they easy to get to ? and can u just pop in and have a free sample ?.

We think there is enough to keep us going in bratislava for 2 days or more, found enough bar's n restaurants to keep us going cheaper the better lol.

Is there anything else anyone reccomends or we just about covered it. We will be using local transport for all out trips

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Days

Hi...

You seem to have a very good plan - 7 days is way too long for Bratislava so your many day trips combined with Bratislava's cheap bars and nearby attractions sounds perfect :)

Vienna - undoubtedly a beautiful city, however I always get a 'cold' feeling from it. Can't explain it. I really like the Central Cemetery though. All the famous people buried there, easy to get to, beautiful church. Post in the Vienna forum. Train is pretty cheap, it's wise to get ticket with Vienna public transport = about 14 Euro return.

Brno - go to Pegas brewery/pub...

Gyor - see idos.cz for travel times. Not been, but looks nice.

Wineries - not sure, but there is a wine museum in Pezinok (about 30 mins by train from Bratislava). It might be interesting, and they'll be able to advise you I imagine.

http://www.muzeumpezinok.sk/en/

2 nights is perfect for Bratislava. Plenty of bars, nice squares, old buildings. Check out the Blue Church, views from Slavin/the Castle, walking along the Danube etc

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,915 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Days

On the other hand, Brno is perfect for 7 days - 4-5 hours is not nearly long enough, and the same goes for Vienna :) Some ideas here guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/jun/19/low-cost-f… as mentioned above, Pegas is home to one of the world's best beers, and other pubs such as Blahovka are regularly ranked in the top five in the country.

But anyway, this is the wrong forum - have a look in the Brno forum for more, or here is a link tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274706-i4013-k362… with some more info, for example.

Gyor is OK - very similar to Bratislava - 4-5 hours enough for both.

If you want to go to Vienna, trains go very regularly and costs €14 return - you really need a full day or more there, not just 4 hours.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Days

thanks for all your advice

Pontefract
Level Contributor
10 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Days

Loose One you should treat your partners to the Camoflage Restaurant

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
266 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Days

We were in Bratislava in June and took a train ride to Trnava, the Rome of Slovakia - so many beautiful churches and home of Figaro chocolate. It may be an interesting day trip for you. Speaking of churches, the Blue Church in Bratislava is a visual treat:) Have a great time!

Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Days

Another town that you might want to check out for a day trip is Modra. This is where some of the traditional Slovak pottery is made. They also have a very lovely church. When we were in Slovakia 2 years ago, we had a private guide and car and we went to Modra on our way from Bratislava to the High Tatras. I'm not sure if there is public transportation between Bratislava and Modra, but it was a delightful little town. We were there is September and this area is also known for their "new wine". I can't remember the specific name. It seemed that everyone in the area made their own wines and they sold them along the road in 1 L water bottles. Our tour guide told us that this wine could only be bought in this area at that time of year. It seemed like it was more carbonated grape juice than wine and it is very "young". I'm sure one of the local experts may know the name.

The drive through this area was very pretty. Modra doesn't seem to be one of the oft mentioned locations in Slovakia, but was very picturesque and quaint.

Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Days

I found the name of the wine I was talking about: It's called Burciak.

Here is a link to the page of the Bradt guide to Slovakia that mentions it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=E-xg8GbdZykC&pg=PA121&lpg=PA121&dq=modra+carbonated+grape+juice+slovakia&source=bl&ots=x-RdLmO-qb&sig=d_ZxlECdGE19nCkwA2TefkkAl5o&hl=en&ei=13RnTrTHL4O5tgfs9qTCDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Not sure if the above will work.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 Days

It's coming up to Burciak season :)))

There are regular buses to Modra (if the OP feels like visiting...) Slovaklines.sk has all the details.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,915 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 Days

Mind you don't drink too much of it, as it is deceptively alcoholic, and very more-ish :)

It is also available everywhere in south Moravia, in the wine areas, where it is called 'Burčák', and in Austria it is known as 'Sturm'.

radio.cz/en/section/curraffrs/burcak-the-tra…

Kosice, Slovakia
Level Contributor
283 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 Days

It's available at this end of the country, too, thank goodness ;-))

Get answers to your questions about Bratislava