We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Bratislava

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 days in Bratislava

I will be visiting bratislava for two days next May, with my college student, and would like information about the best things to visit and places to stay.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Bratislava

Did you mean students, as in a group? What kind of things do you want to focus on - museums, sports and hiking or something? How many people in total? Do you want to do it cheaply, or can you spend more for quality?

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Bratislava

thank you for your reply. No, I do mean only one, my daughter who will be studying opera a semester in Vienna. I will fly into Vienna to meet her and we will spend 12 days traveling before returning to the states. We will spend a few days in Vienna, the to Praque, Bratislava, Budapest then to Paris before returning home. I prefer a day of site seeing then a day of relaxing in great places that locals frequent. No aggressive hiking as we will not have that kind of equipment with us but want to experience some meaningful cultural activities and sites. I prefer to stay away from most museums but do love churches and wonderful old sites or views that are especially beautiful and indicative of the area.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Bratislava

Devin Castle makes a nice half day trip - it's about 30 minutes away by bus and is a very beautiful sight. Cerveny Kamen castle is also a good day trip. It's a bit harder to get to but worth it. Googling these places will give you loads of information.

Wander around the centre of Bratislava. Many nice buildings, churches, cool cafes (although places may open and close again by next May...). The outdoor seating appears during this time. Have a look at the wikitravel for Bratislava. It's very informative and you can ask specific questions if you have any.

Castle and Slavin monument offer great views of the city.

There are some festivals in May, but dates won't be confirmed for a long time.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Bratislava

excellent thank you

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in Bratislava

I am considering renting a car and driving instead of train and bus. Possibly rent in Vienna and drive to other areas. Is that advisable or for some reason difficult to navigate?

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
266 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in Bratislava

We stayed at Hotel Michelska Brana (sp?) in Old Town and loved the location and combination of old and new. The Blue Church was a nice walk - close to the Opera House.

If you have all of your daughter's belongings, it might be better to take a car (w/GPS to help w/winding streets in Prague & Budapest), just so you aren't lugging everything on and off trains and in and out of hotels. However, if you're able to somehow pack light, train travel may be more relaxing for you.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days in Bratislava

Good point about the belongings, but hopefully this isn't the case as using the train is much easier than using a car. Parking in Bratislava is very difficult, and you won't even need the car when here. Same can be said for other cities I think. Also dropping a car off in another country can be very expensive I believe,

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
243 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days in Bratislava

Well, actually parking is easy compared to other European capitals, there are quite a few parkings lots near city centre, best one is next to Park Inn Danube hotel. I'm not sure about prices though.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days in Bratislava

Well that's the thing... why pay for something that you don't really need?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,450 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 days in Bratislava

Definitely don't drive - a car in all these cities is an expensive millstone around your neck. You don't need one in Bratislava, certainly - the centre is all pedestrianised and you can walk across it in a matter of minutes.

Get answers to your questions about Bratislava
Recent Conversations