We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of going to Bratislava with some mates

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of going to Bratislava with some mates

Me and a few mates (21 year olds) went to Prague last year and loved it, food was great and beer was cheap!

Our typical schedule in Prague was go out, sleep till about 12/1, be out by 1/2, sight see till about 5, eat at 6, then come back and head out again. Bad i know!

But was just wondering if anyone knew how it compared to Prague in terms of price and nightlife?

We headed out on bar crawls, and spent the equivalent of about £20/30 a night. Beer was around £1 for half a litre.

We are planning to go early february, so does anyone know what the weather/atmosphere is like at that time of year?

Any answers would be very much appreciated, thank you!

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of going to Bratislava with some mates

I haven't ben their for quite some time but I see that no one has replied to your question so, in my opinion Bratislava (my home town) will be a little more expensive than Prague because Slovakia uses the euro and the Czech republic dose not. The Czech's wisely decided to keep their currency. For the weather, you will be going in the coldest month of the year. It will be snowy, cold and windy. Definitely not tourist season :)

But the people are great! Being one of them I would be surprised if you and your mates didn't have a good time. Nazdravje

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of going to Bratislava with some mates

Yes - it will be cold, and you will be on your own - it is nothing like Prague, and you can walk around the centre in about 10 minutes, so your sightseeing shouldn't take long.

The main attractions of Bratislava are that in the summer you can sit in a cafe and watch people. Then the Christmas markets in December. February is not really a time that I would choose to go.

Good food though - can't really go wrong there.

Na zdravie!

London
Level Contributor
167 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of going to Bratislava with some mates

Just saw this. Prague was fantastic for a lads holiday. I am starting to regret booking Bratislava for a lads trip at the end of January.. did not think that it would be freezing by then and that it would be so quiet especially on a weekday :(. The worst thing is we are getting there really early and leaving really late to get the max out of it.. did not think it would take 10 minutes to see the whole place. We need to find some sort of entertainment desperately now or we'll go crazy there for 3 days.

Thinking of going Vienna for a day just to make it less boring.

I knew we should have booked Riga instead but my mate said Slovakia sounded nicer.

I personally am not a crazy drinker it's just they will probably hate it and blame me now for organizing it lol.

Edited: 20 October 2012, 10:10
Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of going to Bratislava with some mates

Vienna is a good idea but it will be expensive. There is another town you could "check" out in Slovakia called Nove Mesto. It is a short train ride and it has a nice down town area that may be worth the trip.

Edited: 20 October 2012, 15:30
Stenhousemuir
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of going to Bratislava with some mates

Old Town beer prices varied between €1.3 and €1.8 for a half litre in June.

There were enough places to have a decent pub crawl, if they are all open Jan/Feb.

As for the weather, I always do a bit of research a few weeks before I go anywhere and then count down on the 10 day forecast (which seems to change every day).

…weather.com/climate/…

I'm sure there are other, more accurate sites.

Stenhousemuir
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of going to Bratislava with some mates

Martin_Melani...

Are you in Mobile, Alabama? If so, are the Heart of Mobile motel and Korbett's restaurant still in existence?

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of going to Bratislava with some mates

Sorry that dose not sound familiar. I would think that its not around anymore. Places seem to come and go around hear.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
967 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of going to Bratislava with some mates

To the op, on your last day go into Vienna to sightsee. Vienna is also fairly compact so you need maybe 4/5 housr to get a good feel for the place.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of going to Bratislava with some mates

Nové Mesto nad Váhom?

asb.sk/UserFiles/Image/biznis/regiony/nove-m…

It's a bit of a one-horse town, and I can think of few worse places to go for a bit of nightlife. But you never know. It is about an hour from Bratislava by train, and is not far from Čachtice castle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8Cachtice

I have known it to be -20C at that time of the year, but that is an extreme - count on it being around the -5C mark.

10. Re: Thinking of going to Bratislava with some mates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 00:19