We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to book Bratislava to Budapest train?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
180 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Need to book Bratislava to Budapest train?

Hi. We're a family of 3 and plan to travel by train from Bratislava to Budapest in mid-July. We will be spending 2 nights in Bratislava - I'm wondering if I need to pre-book our train tickets (it seems this is possible online through Czech railways) as we're travelling mid-summer, or whether we'd be OK to just buy our tickets and seat reservations when we arrived in Bratislava. I'm not sure if online booking is a more expensive option, so any advice appreciated. Thanks, Annie

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to book Bratislava to Budapest train?

No need to book online (I did't think it was possible)... just go to the counter and ask for 3 return tickets (17.50 each, and returns are cheaper than a single ticket by the way)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,424 posts
5,642 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to book Bratislava to Budapest train?

We recently went the other way around and just purchased our train tickets form Budapest to Bratislava the night before. There were plenty of available seats on our train. Can only assume the situation is similar between Bratislava and Budapest. Have a nice time during your travels.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
180 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to book Bratislava to Budapest train?

Thanks very much. This certainly seems the best option - the price online (I think this might be a very new option through Czech rail as it wasn't available when I looked earlier in the year) was 32 Euros each, so it seems we'd be better to wait till we arrive in Bratislava. I'm now wondering if it's also unnecessary to pre-book Prague to Bratislava as well (online price 29 Euros one way with reserved seat). Thanks again for your help. Annie

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to book Bratislava to Budapest train?

Which website are you using? I just looked for 11th June Prague to Bratislava, and the price is 420 Crowns (or 15 Euro)

https://www.cd.cz/eshop/connres_2G.aspx…

This is the best way for this route - book online

Not sure how much it is at the station, but 3 City Star returns bought at the station should be about 80 Euro, so about 27 Euro per person

Many people take Student Agency bus... search the forums (here, and Prague, and GCEK's replies) and you'll find all the info you need.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
180 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to book Bratislava to Budapest train?

Thanks for this. I have been using http://czech-transport.com, which gives an eticket price of 25 euros, but have just tried the website you suggest and found the cheaper seats, so will book online that way. I think we will try the train for this part of the trip - we have a few other trips by bus, but usually prefer to use trains where we can. Thanks again.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,971 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to book Bratislava to Budapest train?

That is an expensive re-seller, do NOT use!

As a general rule of thumb, you should only ever use the rail company of the country in which your journey commences. You shouldn't need to use any agencies for rail travel in Europe. If you do, you will pay a lot more for the same tickets. I can only think of one or two instances where an agency might be advantageous.

From Prague to Bratislava it costs from €15 by train and children, if you have any with you, go free (depending on age). The bus www.studentagency.eu is a godsend if you have children as it has in-seat movies/games/free wi-fi - I've used it a lot over the last couple of weeks with the kids between Brno/Bratislava/Vienna and the train has a lot of catching up to do. I prefer it as well as the trains are a bit spartan for long-distance travel.

From Bratislava to Vienna you just buy on the day or whenever you arrive and it coats €17.50 return.

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to book Bratislava to Budapest train?

In response to GCEK, that's correct you shouldn't have to use an agency, but given that CZ website is in english for part of the booking then switches to Czech and other countries websites are tricky to use.

I confess I used Czech transport to book my summer holidays next week, 6 countries in 2 weeks. It was cheaper to book individual tickets with an agency than to buy an Interrail pass and reservation surcharges. I went for the easy route but if you want to scrimp and are multi-lingual I guess you can buy from individual websites.

I've never travelled from country to country by train let alone slept in a bed onboard a train, one big new experience!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
180 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need to book Bratislava to Budapest train?

Thanks for this, GCEK. I should have realised Czech Transport was a re-seller! I've found the tickets from Prague to Bratislava on the Czech rail website now, and will also check out the Student Agency buses. Sounds as though they might be a more comfortable option. Really appreciate your advice.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,971 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need to book Bratislava to Budapest train?

You need to use the English version of www.cd.cz/eshop (little 'en' top corner) and it stays in English all the way through. All the European rail companies have an English site, and they are mostly pretty straightforward, plus you can print the tickets off for free at home or in some countries collect from a machine. You will also save about 100% on the ticket price, but if you have them already there's not a lot you can do :)

This is a good site for rail advice http://www.europetrainsguide.com/

Essex
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need to book Bratislava to Budapest train?

Hi

We did this last month, got the train from Hlava Stanica (main rail station up by the Mercure Centrum Hotel in Bratislava) to Budapest Keleti just by buying from the ticket office, I was told this is the cheaper option and my own research proved it. It was around 28 Euro for two adults, bought on the day. If it helps, I usually do my own bookings on line in advance and always prefer that, but three sites I checked said not to as you can buy a walk-up cheaper - here is the source of my info: bratislava-slovakia.eu/travel/…budapest-train

I was also told a return was cheaper, but it wasn't on that day (2 Eu more).

don't go on the Eurotickets site or whatever it is, you will get ripped off.

Best of luck

Janet

Edited: 11 June 2014, 17:12