We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewish Bratislava

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Jewish Bratislava

We were on a Danube River cruise which docked at Bratislava. I knew there had been a Jewish community there so googled Bratislava Jewish. What a wonderful experience resulted! I met Dr. Maros Borsky, vice-president of the Jewish Community, who gave us a tour of more than three hours. He's REMARKABLE, had created the Jewish Museum himself, catalogued more than a thousand items, had energy, verve, knowledge, and much more. He is the author of 4 books, has lectured at Harvard, has a PhD from Hebrew University in Jerusalem. I think it was the highlight of our trip. I didn't want him to stop talking or to bring us back to the boat!! We went to the old cemetery which has, among many graves, that of Chatam Sofer. The synagogue is active as is the community. If you are planning a Danube River trip, I urge you to think of contacting him. It will be the experience of a lifetime. Many on the boat were envious of our experience when we shared it in the evening. If you want more details, please write.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,718 posts
5,780 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewish Bratislava

Thanks for sharing, rabddoug.

Now you have a good reason to return to Bratislava on your next trip to central Europe.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewish Bratislava

I was wondering if you can provide me with the contact information Dr. Maros Borsky. We are taking a roots trip this winter to Bratislava and Senec and eventually Budapest. It would be nice if someone knowledgeable can provide us a tour.

Thanks

Sherry

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
868 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewish Bratislava

I think you might try to contact Jewish Community Museum - some contacts can be found here:

http://www.synagogue.sk/en/

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewish Bratislava

Are gentiles able to visit the Chatam Sofer Memorial?

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
868 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewish Bratislava

I think yes, but all visits have to be arranged in advance. This is from the site http://www.chatamsofer.sk/ :

Please contact us at memorial@znoba.sk to help you make arrangements to visit the memorial. If you wish to arrange a guided tour of Jewish Bratislava, contact us at info@chatamsofer.com.

The memorial can only be entered with a guide from the Bratislava Jewish Religious Community, which maintains the memorial site. It is not possible to visit the site on Shabbat (from Friday night to Saturday night). For all visits, advance request of at least 48 hours is required.

Note: The Chatam Sofer Memorial is not a tourist site but a burial site and a place of prayer. Appropriate attire in accordance with Orthodox requirements is required (long trousers and head cover for men, modest dress covering knees, shoulders, arms below elbows for women).

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewish Bratislava

Thanks. So the position of a gentile wishing to see this site would be similar to, say, a non-Catholic wanting to see the Sistine Chapel? Or at least it would be the same as when I have been to the Western Wall or, indeed, to the Al-Aqsa Mosque and Dome of the Rock. The only difference is the need to book in advance, and they won't think it strange that I'm not Jewish. I suppose I can always contact them directly and see what they say. Thanks again.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
868 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewish Bratislava

Yes, I think you are right. It's just that visits have to be arranged in advance.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewish Bratislava

My husband & I took the train from Vienna to Bratislava met with Dr Maros Borski for a prearranged tour of Jewish Bratislava & Bratislava in general. Our experience w/ Dr Borski was outstanding. Inside addition to visiting the important sights, we learned about their cultural, historical & religious significance. Dr. Borski ( Maros to us) was engaging and essential in our learning about the Jewish community of Bratislava/Pressburg past & present.

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewish Bratislava

Hi - I saw your post - thank you!

I will be on a Danube cruise in 2 weeks and would love to contact Dr. Borsky.

Please send me his contact details.

thank you!

Miriam Fischer

savtamiriam@gmail.com

10. Re: Jewish Bratislava

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2016, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Bratislava
Recent Conversations