We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bratislava to Vienna - November - Car Rental

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bratislava to Vienna - November - Car Rental

Hi,

Myself and my boyfriend were considering flying in to Bratislava from Ireland and renting a car to drive to Vienna and explore Vienna, Salzburg etc for 4 days. The flights to Bratislava are much cheaper then flying to Vienna. We are planning on going the last weekend in November. How long does it take to drive from Bratislava to Vienna and is it a good idea or would driving conditions be bad for that time of year?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bratislava to Vienna - November - Car Rental

Vienna is only 1 hour away by train, or, there is a shuttle service between Bratislava airport and Vienna city centre. I would strongly advise you to do this and rent a car in Austria, as car rental would be extremely expensive, with renting on Slovakia and driving to another country.

Edited: 03 September 2014, 16:56
Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
876 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bratislava to Vienna - November - Car Rental

Well, my check of Avis does not show any significant difference between car rental in Bratislava and Vienna, so I would recommend to check options in advance.

Otherwise, it is indeed very easy to get from Bratislava to Vienna by car, under 1 hour by highway. Also, traveling in Austria by car is convenient, road network is very good. Don't forget that you need to buy Austrian highway toll sticker (vignette) at the border or gas station to use highways in Austria.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bratislava to Vienna - November - Car Rental

Thank you both so much for the info - very helpful. Looking forward to my trip :)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,912 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bratislava to Vienna - November - Car Rental

A car in Vienna is next to useless, and totally useless for exploring the city - parking is almost non-existent and extremely expensive, unless you use one of the park and rides on the edge of town, and traffic can be slow. By the time you have faffed around getting a car, driving to Vienna and parking it, the bus would have got you there and your wallet would be considerably heavier.

To Salzburg the train costs €23.50 each on the Westbahn train - pay the conductor. A car might be useful for a day to explore the Salzkammergut area, but be aware that at the end of November the days are short and the weather isn't always the best for seeing mountains (can be v. cloudy). As with Vienna, as car is no good for exploring Salzburg.

5. Re: Bratislava to Vienna - November - Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Bratislava