We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kosice to Prague on Euronight train

Royersford...
3 posts
Save Topic
Kosice to Prague on Euronight train

My wife and I are traveling to Slovakia in April, and are interested in taking the Euronight 444 train from Kosice to Prague. I know that we can reserve couchettes on that train beginning 60 days in advance on the Slovak rail website, but does anyone know how we can reserve a private double-bed sleeper? Do we need to purchase that in person at the station, or is it possible to get it somewhere online? Are there even sleepers on the trip? According to this site: http://cp.atlas.sk/vlak/spojenie/ it looks like there may only be sleepers on the second leg, from Zilina to Prague.

I'd appreciate any help!

John

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
864 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kosice to Prague on Euronight train

There are sleepers all the way to Prague, here you can see the train composition:

www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php…

However I am not aware of possibility to book online. Of course once you will be in Slovakia, you can book and purchase tickets at any major train station.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,969 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kosice to Prague on Euronight train

You can't book a 2-person compartment on-line.

You can, however, book a berth in a 3-person compartment on-line and it costs €32 each all in. http://www.zssk.sk/en

The regular fare is about €44, plus a supplement of about €20 for the sleeper berth, probably less. You can do this in Košice.

Royersford...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kosice to Prague on Euronight train

Thank you for the helpful tips! We are very much looking forward to our trip, and I'm pretty excited for the train journey.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
665 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kosice to Prague on Euronight train

In order to purchase a ticket from Slovak Rail, you need to have a national ID from Slovakia. So it means foreigners cannot purchase tickets at all. I always have to ask someone in Slovakia to buy for me.

It seems you can buy ticket from Rauk Eruope, but they charge 168 pounds instead of 30 Euro!!!

http://www.raileurope.com/

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,969 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kosice to Prague on Euronight train

Do not touch Rail Europe with a bargepole!!!

You can buy a ticket on-line without a Slovak national ID. Where it asks you to enter an ID card number, just enter your passport (or other photo ID) number and it doesn't matter which country it is from. They are not allowed to discriminate as it is against EU law, and in any case if it was not possible for foreigners to buy on-line the page wouldn't be in English :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
665 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kosice to Prague on Euronight train

GCEK, I could not buy tickets from Slovak Rail site so far. ID should match with Slovak national ID patterns with right figures, which should be 10. Otherwise, it does not process.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,969 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kosice to Prague on Euronight train

In this case make something up - add zeroes or AAAA for example for missing letters.

I have never had a problem, and they will certainly not throw you off the train.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
665 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kosice to Prague on Euronight train

Conductors of Slovak trains are quite rigid. I often bought tickets under my patners's ID and if something does not match, they would not accept tickets.

I should say if one can't buy tickets with his/her own ID or passport, it is safer to buy tickets at stations.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,969 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kosice to Prague on Euronight train

But you would pay more that way. Honestly - don't worry about it.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,969 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kosice to Prague on Euronight train

You still use your ID no./Passport number, but if it asks you to add more letters, just fill the space up with zeroes. All they are looking for is that your ticket hasn't been bought up by an agency and sold on. If they check at all, they will be looking to see that the ID number on your ticket matches the one on your passport.

Get answers to your questions about Kosice