We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krakow to Poprad

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Krakow to Poprad

Has anyone recently done the drive from Krakow to Poprad? Just wondering how many hours it will take. We're making the journey in July. Thanks!

Poprad
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Krakow to Poprad

It takes about 2,5 - 3 hours. By nice weather it is very scenic - Podhale region below the High Tatras. Also recommend to stop in Zakopane - center of Polish Tatras.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krakow to Poprad

Thanks for your reply. I'll try to fit a stop at Zakopane into our schedule.

I've read on the internet about some kind of vignette which I need to drive into Slovakia. Do I buy one at a service station before entering Slovakia?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krakow to Poprad

You won't need the vignette for that stretch of road, but you will if you hit a highway. You can buy them at any petrol station in Slovakia - the yellow lines here show which roads you need it on www.benzin.sk/index.php… 'Diaľničná známka'

I would give that journey a bit more than 3 hours - I have done it a few times and it usually takes about 4 hours, but that is from the airport and inevitably you are going to make a couple of stops. If you drive fast without stopping and and don't take any wrong turnings you might just do it in 3 - the traffic would have to be good as well.

The most confusing thing is that there are no signs that say Slovakia or Poprad - at least I have never noticed any - so you have to follow 'Nowy Targ' (easy to take a wrong turning there) and then 'Lysa Polana' and signs saying (excuse my Polish) 'granica panstwa' - state border. The road through the mountain pass is very windy on both sides, so take it easy.

Zakopane is definitely worth a visit - parking can be a bit tricky, though.

Tomaszow Lubelski...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Krakow to Poprad

When are you planning on making the trip? We are planning on making the same journey 6/23-6/26, but we are thinking of taking a bus from krakow to zakopane then zakoppane to poprad...anyone know how often the bus from zakopane to poprad runs?

5. Re: Krakow to Poprad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 April 2013, 15:05
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krakow to Poprad

Thanks very much for the info. That map showing the vignette roads is really useful too. We've had a chat about it and are now thinking that we may stop in Zakopane overnight on the way down, as that will break up the journey and also give us the chance to see an extra place! Nowy Targ looks like it directly on the route down- is it worth staying there or are we best staying in Zakopane itself?

We're making the journey at the end of July. Not sure about buses, though, so I'm afraid I can't help there.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krakow to Poprad

Here is the timetable for buses from Zakopane to Poprad strama.eu/index.php… - it takes about 2 hours and costs PLN 18 - presumably you pay the driver as with any other bus.

There's nothing in Nowy Targ. The last time I stopped there I got a parking ticket for my troubles.

For somewhere to stay in Zakopane, you can't beat this one tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274793-i4087-k2… - absolutely fairy-tale, and we have stayed there a couple of times.

Edited: 18 June 2011, 21:01
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Krakow to Poprad

Thanks again for your help. Following your advice, we've decided to head straight to Zakopane from Krakow and stay there for the night. Finally finished booking the holiday!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
160 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Krakow to Poprad

How was ur trip so far??

May I ask if poprad aquacity is the bus station right beside poprad tatry train station?

Is the bus station at zakopane near the town and I can stay a hotel near the bus station if I come from krakow and stay for a night?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Krakow to Poprad

Aquacity is the other side of town from the railway station, but it isn't a big town ...

Likewise Zakopane, but I don't know where the bus station is there - presumably near the rail station, which isn't far from the centre.