We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

low tatra trail, where to start from krakau

Which Poprad hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rotterdam, The...
5 posts
Save Topic
low tatra trail, where to start from krakau

Hi, my friend and I are planning the 5 days Derese-Chabenec hiking trail from next week on. We just booked a flight to Krakau. We have 8 days to spend around the Tatra area. We are thinking of traveling from Krakau to Chabenec and from there on walk to Derese and when we have more days we could do a one day hike in the high Tatra. What is the best way from Krakau to the starting point of the 5 day trail? Which way is best to go in your experience? What busses or trains should we take?

Hope to hear from you!

Zilina, Slovakia
Level Contributor
176 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: low tatra trail, where to start from krakau

I recomend you oposite trail route Donovaly - Chopok see hiking.sk/hk/ar/1847/donovaly_utulna_durkova…

. Easy to start from Donovaly /on the main road Ruzomberok Banska Bystrica/ - international buses from Krakow can stop there.

From Krakow see for international buses to south countries or direct train to Zilina. From Zilina is easy to go to Ruzomberok or Liptovsky Mikulas and from Ruzomberok to Donovaly /starting point or Liptovsky Mikulas - Jasna Chopok .1. day Donovaly - chalet Durkova 10 hours 30 km, ,2. day Durkova - Derese - Chopok

hiking.sk/hk/ar/8/prechod_nizkych_tatier_cas…

pages are in slovak, sorry

Rotterdam, The...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: low tatra trail, where to start from krakau

Hi Miloslav,

Thanks for your answer, very helpfull. Google translate does a good job too ;)

I just have one concern. It's my friends first walk and i guess the 10 our way will be a phsychological game for us to start with. I know I'm not allowed to camp along the trail. Is it possible to cut the 10 hour in half by finding shelter along the road? How dit others do this? Thanks!

Rotterdam, The...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: low tatra trail, where to start from krakau

Another question: from what places along the road is it possible to quit the long road? Is it possible?

Edited: 03 August 2013, 21:30
Zilina, Slovakia
Level Contributor
176 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: low tatra trail, where to start from krakau

See page /again in slovak/ http://www.nizketatry.sk/chaty/chaty.html with GPS of chalets, Not many possibilities for the first day /utulna pod Chabencom -Durkova/ but it is possible to go down to the villages Liptovska Luzna or Magurka - one hour side trip down from the main path. There are more possibilities for sleeping. Of course, this trip is not for everybody - you must have some trekking experience. From Chopok it is cable car down to the Jasna and Liptovsky Mikulas.

look too for West Tatras - Rohace http://www.rohace.net/horska-turistika from Zuberec - easier to go there from Krakow and this route is not so difficult /many perfect one day trails/

Zilina, Slovakia
Level Contributor
176 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: low tatra trail, where to start from krakau

and for the inspirations about the West Tatras - Rohace travelslovakia.sk/slovakia-trips/slovakia-ac…

NIzke Tatry trail see maps!!! for breaks in Liptovska Luzna or Magurka www.nizketatry.sk/phrebena/phrebena.html

Rotterdam, The...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: low tatra trail, where to start from krakau

Thank you so much Miloslav, we keep the west-tatra's as B-plan, still considering the 10 hour walk as start, we'll take a tent with us for savety. I read about the shelter Hiadeľske sedlo, does anyone have experience with cutting the long walk up in two?

We are looking forward to it!

Rotterdam, The...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: low tatra trail, where to start from krakau

When installing google Chrome the webpage will ask to translate all texts in the webpage, although sometimes in riddles, the content becomes clear.

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
3 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: low tatra trail, where to start from krakau

Hi,

This is a question for multiple forums probably. We plan to arrive in Prague by air, see around, hire a car and proceed to Krakaw. From there to Poprad, further to Bratislava, Vienna, Salzburg and back to Prague.

Do we need to buy some sort of permit for each country that will pass through?

We have a choice of hiring two cars for four people each or one car for eight people. Which is a better option. Cost wise two five seaters is cheaper than one 8 seater. But the taxes levied by each country may vary. Please advice.

Regards

Ajith

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
864 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: low tatra trail, where to start from krakau

I don't know exactly what you mean by levies, but I would recommend

1. make sure that car rental allows these cars to be driven in all these countries - especially whether the insurance covers them.

2. Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria have each their own highway toll - you need to buy appropriate toll stickers (vignette, dalnicni znamka, dialnicna nalepka), write the registration number of the car (if applicable) and stick them on the windshield - they are available at gas station, 10-day stickers will be enough for you.

3. and of course, you need to have appropriate visa for entry - as these countries are all part of EU Schengen space, you are not likely to be stopped at the border, but you need to have documents with you for random checks.

4. You might also need international driving permits (depending on your country of origin).

5. You need to have headlights turned on during daytime in Poland, Slovakia and Czech Republic.

10. Re: low tatra trail, where to start from krakau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 16:16