We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling inbetween Villenus, Tallin, and Riga

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Traveling inbetween Villenus, Tallin, and Riga

Hi Guys,

I am planning a 9 day trip where I will start in Helsinki and then make my way down to Villenus. I am (at this point) planning to be traveling alone and am a little worried about safty while traveling in this region. I have heard the towns and quite safe and quant but I am wondering about using buses to get inbetween the towns. Are these safe? what about taking on overnight? How much time will I need in each?

Any advice would be wonderful!

Thanks

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling inbetween Villenus, Tallin, and Riga

Hi, gilmore,

Buses are good and safe including overnight. Just common sense of precaution: keep your money and documents close to you, don't drink too much- and you will be fine.

Timetables and prices here: http://www.ecolines.net/index.php?l=2 http://www.luxexpress.eu/lang/

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling inbetween Villenus, Tallin, and Riga

Buses are a good way to get around this region, and you will be generally safe. Actually, my opinion is you will be safer in the major cities (Tallin, Riga, Vilnius..with Riga slightly dicier) than in certain the towns in the countryside, some of which are a little rough. In the cities just use big city common sense, but in general the baltics are a great place, safe place to travel.

In terms of time, 1 day is sufficient for all three Baltic capitals, which gives you time to smell the roses in between.

In between Riga and Vilnius, you should stop in Siauliai, which is near the pretty amazing hill of crosses. You can take a bus to the hill, or, better, rent a bike and take a beautiful 8 mile ride through the countryside. Don't wander around Siauliai on your own at night if you can avoid it, though.

If you have time to go to Nida, kind of out of the way on the far West coast of Lithuania, it's a wonderfully unique island.

Vilnius is probably the best of the three cities, if you are wondering where to stay longer. Tallin has one of the oldest 'old towns' in Europe, which is very cool, but also small and touristy. Riga has a fantastic outdoor market, but the old town at night is ruled by rowdy English soccer hooligans on buck's nights. Vilnius' old town is integrated into the city well, so it doesn't feel as touristy,

Learning a little Russian would be very helpful -- everyone in these three countries speaks at least a little, but try English first as that is preferred.

Have a great trip!

3. Re: Traveling inbetween Villenus, Tallin, and Riga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2011, 05:16