We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vilnius or Kaunas

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vilnius or Kaunas

Hi,

Please can I have some advice on whether to visit Vilnius or Kaunas?

I will be travelling in early June 2011.

Is one place better than the other for accommodation,sights, nightlife and bars?

Thanks

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
350 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vilnius or Kaunas

In general, I think that Vilnius has better tourist facilities and there is more to see. The atmosphere in Vilnius I also like better than the one in Kaunas. But it's a matter of discussion and there are lots of competition between the people living in these two cities about which is better.

However, to see for yourself, you could easily visit both - they are just 1 hour away by train.

Vilnius is definitely better for accommodation - there is much more of it. For the sights I would say too. Nightlife and bars - I think they are about the same.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Vilnius or Kaunas

Thanks for your prompt response, friend.

Please could you also advise on the best choice for bars, restaurants and nightlife..

Thanks

Edited: 12 February 2011, 22:07
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Vilnius or Kaunas

Hi sorry to trouble you but I wonder if you are able to come back to me on my earlier post...

Many thanks

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
350 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vilnius or Kaunas

I am not really the guy who goes to bars and clubs very much, although I like restaurants a lot.

If you are looking for a traditional Lithuanian meal, try "Lokys" or "Zemaiciu smukle". Italian cuisine is best at "Sorrento" or "Da Antonio", Greek - at "Spyros Metaxa", French - at "Stikliai" or "Bistro 18", Japanese - at "Osaka", Chinese - probably at "Didžioji Kinija", Argentine - "El Gaucho Sano" etc.

For a dining in wonderful natural surroundings, try "Belmontas". However, consider that you will have to take a taxi to get there.

Vilnius, Lithuania
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vilnius or Kaunas

Vilnius is more accommodating than Kaunas and more exiting, but it depends where you land (at Vilnius or Kaunas airport), then choose the nearest one.

California
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vilnius or Kaunas

We spent three days in Vilnius and about one day in Kaunas. There seemed more to see, or at least was more accessible by walking in Vilnius if you get near the main Cathedral or square. Good eating and night spots. The TV Tower on the north end of town has great views in the 360' turn it does also. Accomodations were good also, Trakai castle makes a good day trip as well.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Vilnius or Kaunas

Thank you, we have decided to go with Vilnius...we hope to post our views after our visit.

We will be flying to Kaunas so will have to look into the best options for transfer to Vilnius.

8. Re: Vilnius or Kaunas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2012, 05:27