We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel from Vilnius to Warsaw in August 2014

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Train travel from Vilnius to Warsaw in August 2014

Hi Guys,

Would appreciate your help, we plan to travel from Vilnius to Warsaw by train on a Sunday in August 2014. I can see we need to go to Kunas first and change trains and I can find many options for this leg of the trip. However, I'm coming up with no services for the next two legs of the trip. I've tried Lithuanian rail and Bahn. Is this service discontinued? I know the bus seems the quickest option but it gets us into Warsaw either very late at night or extremely early in the morning making check-in at most hotels problematic. We would prefer to go by train as its easier to get up and move around than on a bus for 7+ hours. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
378 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel from Vilnius to Warsaw in August 2014

I'm afraid the schedules are too far in the future to show up. Besides, RailBaltica, a new project, is in progress, that may delay information.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel from Vilnius to Warsaw in August 2014

Just note that the daily direct train to Warsaw runs from Sestokai, not Kaunas

August 2014 timetables:

rozklad-pkp.pl/bin/query.exe/en…

Edited: 06 January 2014, 03:57
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel from Vilnius to Warsaw in August 2014

Sorry, the link does not seem to work properly. Please enter Sestokai and Warszawa Centralna (main station) and do the search again.

LT
Level Contributor
845 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel from Vilnius to Warsaw in August 2014

One suggestion is to wait until April when the rail works will be finished. At least some of them. The new schedules will be published then. Now, until March 30, ALL routes (both domestic and international) are abridged, trains go only up to Kazlų Rūda (check the map to get an idea). There are no ANY train service from there up to the Polish border at the moment. But you're not planning to go anywhere at the moment, i assume. So simply wait a bit and then check the schedules again. I don't know what it is going to be like.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 10:18
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel from Vilnius to Warsaw in August 2014

I did this trip a few times and it's a long day...9 hours... I flew also & it was 1 hour flight.

If u have enough time to waste then train is good value. But for another 150$ u save a whole day..

6. Re: Train travel from Vilnius to Warsaw in August 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 05:17