We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of life in Kaunas or Lithuania in general

Which Kaunas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Venice
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
Cost of life in Kaunas or Lithuania in general

Hi,

I'm planning to study 6 months in Kaunas University.

I would be grateful if you could give me any info about the cost of life, i.g. renting a room, eating out,shopping, etc.

Thank you very much!

Fras

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,052 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of life in Kaunas or Lithuania in general

Hi

I've not been to Kaunas but in Vilnius you can get an excellent meal with beer for about 8 euros, less if you are buying and cooking yourself. Whatever you need to live in Venice it will be a fraction in Lithuania

Have a lovely time

Jackie

DeKalb, Illinois
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of life in Kaunas or Lithuania in general

It depends on how soon you make it to Kaunas.

Prices and wages alike have been going up at about 6% annually since Lithuania has joined EU.

Well, the above is true: a dinner at a mid-range cafe/restaurant cost the same or less than a fast-food ravioli at a chiosko in Jesiolo I've stayed at when visiting Venice. True, it is possible to spend some 40 EUR for an incomplete dinner in Kaunas just like I did near Piata Roma - but in Kaunas, that would be a posh place.

This year, Lithuania still uses Litas (LTL) for its currency before switching to Euro Jan 1st 2007. The exchange rate is already fixed at 3,4528 Litas for one Euro.

Therefore, expect to spend some 300 EUR for an one-bedroom appartment the first month, until you find the same for about 450 Litas. The utilities cost some 250 Litas in winter, and go down to 100 Litas in summer.

DSL+land phone line will ring about 250 Litas a month.

If you smoke tobacco, a pack of Marlboros is about 1,40 EUR.

Big Mac as it's known in the States, or Burger Royale as it's known in Europe is about 9 Litas.

Johnnie Walker gets imported from Italia, and runs some 45 Litas for a 0,7 bottle of Red, which now makes it cheaper than paying some $25 in Chicago suburbs.

A frozen hen at a supermarket goes for about 7 Litas a kilogram. Smoked Tuscany style sausages cost about 40 Litas a kilo.

Pizza with home delivery runs about 20 Litas. 2-liter bottle of Coca Cola is 3,60-3,80 LTL.

One kilometer of taxi cab ride costs 1-1,20 Litas.

Only the younger speak English.

Benvienutto con Lituania.

Get answers to your questions about Kaunas
Recent Conversations