We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaunas, Lithuania - help required

Rhuddlan - North...
1 post
Save Topic
Kaunas, Lithuania - help required

Hi all,

6 friends and I have just booked to go to Kaunas for 4 nights on Wednesday 23rd - Sunday 27th May.

We are looking for some good local style pubs to visit (not Irish pubs, which there appear to be an abundance of) which sell a good array of different and local beers and aren't too overpriced. Places to sit outside with nice views would be welcomed, as well as places we can get a bit slurry and loud without raising too many eyebrows. We are staying nearby the old town area, so any within that vicinity would be best.

I would appreciate any recommendations anyone can offer, particularly if you log the reasons why you recommend it. I usually create a map beforehand using google maps logging all the best places, so I can log them on it!

Also, at that time of year, can anyone advise what weather to expect? This would help greatly when packing as we're with RyanAir and only have hand luggage (which is thimble sized).

One last thing... We would like to visit some type of sporting event if there are any one at that time of year (basketball seems to be the biggy). Does anyone know how to go about booking to see any matches (football or basketball) if there are any on?

Many thanks in advance for your replies

Kaunas, Lithuania
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaunas, Lithuania - help required

Hi,

The list of good local Lithuanian pubs in Kaunas is available from:

tikrasalus.lt/2009/…

(press the link to Kaunas). There have been some changes recently, but then again all the best local brews serving places are there.

For the whisky night, we reccomend place named W1640.

Given the time of your arrival, you could get to see the final national league basketball game between Kaunas and Vilnius at the new 18 thous seater Zalgiris Arena http://www.zalgirioarena.lt/lang/en

The football is virtually non existent since the local outfit FBK Kaunas has gone bankrupt and is now re-starting in the 3rd tier.

Ciobiskis

tikrasalus@gmail.com

Kaunas, Lithuania
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaunas, Lithuania - help required

You are very lucky, because

1. the weather appear to be damn good for this time: above +20, no rain (check gismeteo , wunderground, ect)

2. sorry about sports, but The biggest music festival Kaunas Jazz will be going on 04.26 - 04.29. So do not hesitate chack KaunasJazz.lt or any paper stand in the center of kaunas for more detailed info. Open concerts usually take place at Venybes aikste (Union Square) and for the evening I suggest to go to Club Combo ( ok to go wit taxi - quite near). For the tickes go to Kaunas Filharmoija (http://www.kaunofilharmonija.lt/en/tickets) and buy them by yourself, then you do not hassle with bilietai.lt or tiketa.lt (not sure which one).

Kaunas will be really alive during these days! I'm attending too! :)

Kaunas, Lithuania
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaunas, Lithuania - help required

ah sorry got the wrong date of your arrival it is the and of may....

Then you can expect relatively good weather around +20 temperature with chances of rain.

And regarding sports - as the post above, basketball finals, but do not count much on that, tickes should be sold out..

4. Re: Kaunas, Lithuania - help required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 00:41
Get answers to your questions about Kaunas